Why become a member? ×

Six String Fever..

JuliusGroove

I've been toying with the idea of a six string for a while now and I've finally given in.. I'll be looking into purchasing early into the new year so looking for recommendations more than anything..

This is the cheapest 'well reviewed' one I could find.. Does anybody have any experience in the ESP model?

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-ltd-b-206-sm-ns-natural-satin/21478

They're retailing at £391 with GAK, is this the price I can expect to pay for an adequate six string?

I go through a Mark Bass combo which has been pretty forgiving with lower-priced instruments so I'm hoping what I lack in guitar quality will be made up for in AMP.... ha

Cheers guys

You really need to try a few out, not just one but a few :D .

I have 3, and they're all different, each has different string spacing and neck width etc.

Yamaha's are really nice, I can't comment on the TRB1006 models, I've never played one, but I have a very early TRB6P model that's a beautiful instrument, but it does have a very wide neck and wide string spacing that some people would struggle with.

My Modulus has narrow string spacing and a beautiful slim neck, as does my Mayones.

You also need to consider technique, it's a different beast to a 5 string, and totally different to a 4 string, though there is a 4 string there, just hiding between the 2 new strings :D .

I think budget is going to be my main issue.. I'm kind of only looking to spend up to £400. I played pretty much nothing but my Stingray for three years and really enjoyed the wide neck.. Though now I've been playing my new jazz mainly for the last month or so I am warming to the thinner neck.. Though the string spcing on a Jazz is kind of the closest I'd want, anything tighter and I'm a fumbling mess..

I picked up an Korean Spector legend classic 6 a little while back. It's an excellent instrument and should be about the same price as the ESP if you can find one used.

Electronics are a bit scooped but very bright and modern... Fit and finish are as good as my Fenders / Warwick.

I've got a custom Sixer coming at some point in the future (when they finally finish it) The original plan was to sell the legend but I think I might replace the pups and keep it. It really does play very well.