Why become a member? ×

Hartke versatility

action_panzer

Saw Sabbath play a few days ago and was reminded that Geezer is a Hartke endorsee now. The sound suits 13 but isn't that classic warbly-distorty Geezer sound - far from it. He sounded like a slower, heavier version of Frank Bello. I think his gear is a Kilo head and HyDrive cabs, which would explain the Bello-ness as Bello uses LH1000 and HyDrives...

Which got me thinking, I really dig the Hartke mid growly sound, but is there any versatility in either the LH heads or HyDrive cabs? Thats the only thing that holds me back from buying them - I'd like my amp to do more than one sound (although it might be a case of the pot calling the kettle black as I currently use Ampeg gear...but I find it versatile enough for me), and all the Hartke stuff I've heard is great for metal but I can't imagine it being applied for owt else.

The only sound I cant get from my LH is that horrible "inverted smiley eq" sound. Everything else from reggae to funk is possible.For general use I usually set the eq to:
Bass: 6
Mid: 6
Treble: 5

(or neighbour of the beast as I call it)

Bright switch is off, limiter is on.

Hmm funny, my LH seems very clear and clinical to me, sounds great with my EB but a bit colourless with my DB - I normally just have the Eq pretty flat, boost the middle for the DB.

So I guess I find it a completely adequate amp for everything I do - certainly loud enough - just a bit soulless......

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1387090594' post='2308052']
Hmm funny, my LH seems very clear and clinical to me, sounds great with my EB but a bit colourless with my DB - I normally just have the Eq pretty flat, boost the middle for the DB.

So I guess I find it a completely adequate amp for everything I do - certainly loud enough - just a bit soulless......
[/quote]
When you say you have the EQ flat, do you mean all the tone controls set to noon? I've been tempted by an LH so am interested in any comments.