Why become a member? ×

SOLD Warwick Thumb 4 BO '94, very clean 690£
£1000

Sumatra

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Price or trade value: 850 euro (690£)[/font][/color]

Dears,

putting some of my gear on the blocks.

Here we go with a small piece of electric bass history: very nice Thumb Bolt on from early 90s (Serial reads E000334-94).
It is a 4 strings, MEC pus and electronic, all bubinga body and wenge neck, just-a-nut brass nut with individual saddle adjustment, typical warwick bridge, "W West Germany" tuners.

To be honest I'm not a Warwick expert, but when I got it I was told that bubinga and wenge were used on Bolt Ons only for the very first period of production in the early 90s, and so Bubinga-Wenge bolt ons are now quite sought after (I will welcome any correction/comment from experts if this is not correct :) )

It has been taken very good care of and it is in excellent conditions. There is a small nick between body and neck junction, and some on the bottom (pictured). It has been regularly waxed (and I still have some original warwick wax).

The Warwick strap and strap lock are included. I also have a Warwick gig back that I'd be intending to include with the bass, but no flight case at the moment. Will decide together with the buyer how to arrange for the case.

Price includes shipment in EU.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Not looking for something specific in trade, unless you have a pre-CBS fretless Jazz. I'm willing to consider trades + cash for gear that I can resell very quickly.[/font][/color]

Voyeur corner:
[attachment=150121:body front.jpg][attachment=150122:body back.jpg][attachment=150124:board.jpg][attachment=150125:headstock back.jpg][attachment=150126:serial.jpg][attachment=150127:strap.jpg][attachment=150128:body nick.jpg][attachment=150129:body nicks 2.jpg][attachment=150130:body nicks 3.jpg]

Edited by Sumatra

Lovely looking bass :) with regards to rarity, the earlier basses are always sought after, but the current production Thumb BO basses have Bubinga bodies and Wenge necks :)

However, for 10 years or so they were built with Ovangkol with Ovangkol necks, believe it changed to Bubinga in 2010 (?) and wenge this year.

Edited by Kev

Hi Luca
I'm also a lucky owner of one of these first batch thumb Bolt ons. those in the know always claim the first thumb B.O's had a walnut body.
But yours and mine definetly are not walnut. On the warwick forum some members were convinced that mine was afzelia
One Luthier however endorses my idea that it is bubinga
Good luck with the sale. I love my little thumb. It's the perfect companion to my fretless Wal MK1

I'd as well say this is not walnut, but to be totally honest I stay with what I've been told (bubinga) as I'm not an expert.
I didn't know that they could as well have used afzelia, but if it is the "sound of wood", who cares ;)

cheers
Luca

Edited by Sumatra

• 2 weeks later...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]would trade also with a nice Fender Roscoe Beck V (teal green preferred, otherwise gold/grey-sh as well, not really temped by sunburst and red). [/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lowering down a little bit more, trying to grab a nice offer I've been looking at.

Seems to me 690£ is a bit of a steal on this, but I'm not that pricing expert to be honest