Why become a member? ×

Tecamp opinions?

TRBboy

Thanks for the info guys, very useful. To be honest, I've been potentially looking at making my rig even more compact, and the Tecamp Puma 212 combo in the fs section has caught my eye. It's maybe a little bigger than what I had envisaged, but seems like a good bit of kit. It's just difficult because there's nowhere I can try one out! :D

Recently picked up a used (as new) Jag classic 500 amp and nothing not to like about it. A great sounding amp, silly weight for a vintage/tube look amp. The quoted 500 watts is enough for general gigging use.
I would advise to stay clear of their previous line, formerly Tech Soundsystem amps (non class D) as these were prone to various reliability issues I understand.
Regarding cabs, they changed drivers a couple of times but depending on taste they are up there with the best in lightweight construction. Also the Tech SS line of Neo cabs may be worth checking out if you see used.

I have tecamp gear since years ... and never changed it since I have it (2006 I think)

XS112 cab (8ohms) for rehearsals / training small pub concerts.
S212 cab (4 ohms) for bigger events.
And for large events : it's DI and the amp of the festival.

My sadowsky SA200 stays at home, it's a very very good tube amp, but with a little more weight - x10 ! so it's a very very good pratice amp at home ! :D

[quote name='ben604' timestamp='1386602431' post='2302017']
Sorry Dude!
[/quote]

Ah never mind Ben, I should have just pulled the trigger! That's two combos I've missed out on in as many days, perhaps it meansi should just stick with what I've got! :D

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1386594126' post='2301848']
Recently picked up a used (as new) Jag classic 500 amp and nothing not to like about it. A great sounding amp, silly weight for a vintage/tube look amp. The quoted 500 watts is enough for general gigging use.
I would advise to stay clear of their previous line, formerly Tech Soundsystem amps (non class D) as these were prone to various reliability issues I understand.
Regarding cabs, they changed drivers a couple of times but depending on taste they are up there with the best in lightweight construction. Also the Tech SS line of Neo cabs may be worth checking out if you see used.
[/quote] With Tech Soundsystem stuff - do you mean the cabs or the amps or both? and what reliability issues?

Can't be specific as no first hand experience but I think the early line of TVM amps. Mike Walsh the original UK distributor was talking about this a few years back when he owned what became the Bass Merchant shop. Really nice sounding amps though.
The cabs were great. Really miss my old 2x12 from the Tech SS Neo line.

Just wanted to add that I bought a Puma500 recently, and it's a killer little amp.
It sounds clear but still warm with lots of power reserves, and the EQ is
very effective. It also comes with a taste knob that adds some warmth to the sound
or makes it drier.

I drive a 212 8-Ohm cab quite hard with it, and after hours of use, it doesn't get
hot at all, which I think is a good sign rg. reliability.