Why become a member? ×

Fuzz - The Sound that Revolutionised the World (Documentary)

BigBassBob

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1386832837' post='2305038']
Oh, and going back to the documentary, I didn't realise how eccentric JMJ was...
[/quote]

Pretty sure he's a Scientologist, which is pretty disappointing lol

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1386832514' post='2305035']
With the amount of colouring fuzz does I can understand the fear some may have of losing their identity but (talking about effects in general now) when you take into account technique, plectrum gauge/right hand attack, string type/material/gauge, the instrument itself (including all the wood, hardware, pickups, wiring and setup), amplifier (and potentially individual valves), speakers (size, brand, material) cabinet (material, ported/unported, tweeters etc) then an overdrive, compressor and a few patch leads seem like very little in the whole equation :)

How many guys have B7Ks now? A lot. How many of them sound exactly like me? None. Always remember that even if you play with no pedals or have a Pedaltrain Pro filled with the crème of boutique stuff you are still going to play and sound like you :) I could gig without any pedals quite happily but it's nice to have a little spice for those guitar solos, lead breaks and those rare moments when the bass gets to shine.

[/quote]

I think it's important to realise that not many people (in the world....ever), have become well known simply for the sound of their voice, but more for what they say with that voice. Sure if you have a nice sounding voice, people might listen a little harder, but never is it a substitute for meaningful content in your words/playing.
Sure Jaco had a sound, but he sounded like Jaco on a fretted bass too.

Si

I agree whole heartedly with what you've said Si.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1386848021' post='2305241']
Sure Jaco had a sound, but he sounded like Jaco on a fretted bass too.
[/quote]

This. A million times this.

Initially I included an extra paragraph about theory, choice of notes, phrasing and playing behind/ahead of the beat all contributing to your musical identity but I though it was going a bit too far off track :)

Lots of good points raised by bob and si.

Forums introduced me to the xotic BB preamp and the wren an cuff TFR, which i'd never have found out about at PMT, so for that and that alone, it's worth sifting through all the annoying fanboi-ism ;)

However, i am annoyed to hear JMJ may be one of those tom cruise madmen... My diabolik is now tarnished, and i'm yet to use it yet!!

Oh, also, while we're all in a fuzz post, a quick question...
I have a muff pedal i love and a brassmaster under the xmas tree. Very tempted to try a superfuzz varient one day. Are there any other 'classic' fuzz designs you've had good results with on bass? I hear mixed comments on fuzz face-based pedals...

Edited by GazWills

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1386855784' post='2305395']
Lots of good points raised by bob and si.

Forums introduced me to the xotic BB preamp and the wren an cuff TFR, which i'd never have found out about at PMT, so for that and that alone, it's worth sifting through all the annoying fanboi-ism ;)

However, i am annoyed to hear JMJ may be one of those tom cruise madmen... My diabolik is now tarnished, and i'm yet to use it yet!!
[/quote]

I agree, forums, the same as any community, can be worthshile fountains of knowledge. However one must always keep perspective and trust ones own ears!

I think a number of the Beck lot are 'Science Science' oddbods

Si

I would never use a pedal/instrument/set up I didn't like just because others do. I might buy a pedal based on reviews and youtube videos, what other option is there, I'm not going to traipse down to Denmark Street with my bass and gig rig to find a fuzz, especially when they won't stock many boutique pedals that I would also like to consider.

I enjoy using different pedals and moving them on if they aren't for me, I don't think its a bad thing, I'm not profiteering and never tried to. I definitely don't consider myself to be a better or more knowledgeable musician for it either. I don't know everything and I don't have a massive ticket on myself to be the best musician, I just like loud noises and playing bass. Not sure there's any point getting puritanical about 'fanboys' or peoples attitudes towards effects for the sake of it.

Butler - I hadn't actually considered that some forum reviews/GAS could be employed marketing.

As luck would have it, I got to spend a little time with JMJ at the O2 before a NIN gig a few years back (courtesy of Steve Taylor / tayste_2000).

I'm an accountant (well, sort-of) who turned up at a major rock gig dressed like a musician (whatever that means) and trying very hard not to be an accountant.

JMJ is a massive rock star who turned up at a major rock gig dressed like an accountant (whatever that means) and trying very hard not to be a rock star.

Go figure.

But it was pretty entertaining.

Nice guy, though, and a lovely wife.

Don't get me wrong, we (perhaps) jest about their religion, but he always seems like a lovely guy, knowledgable, helpful and I certainly wouldn't judge him for his beliefs. If anything, he's a bit of a personal bass hero.

Noice :)
Si

That was a surprisingly thought provoking documentary.

I have found that the joy in owning pedals seldom matches the excitement of wanting them. I used to get caught up in the Talkbass vortex of bullshit and one-upmanship, but now whenever I read the phrase "getting a lot of love on Talkbass" I am highly sceptical.

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1386832514' post='2305035']
I think there's lots of great information and advice to be had on forums but there is also a lot of misinformation. I think if you're level-headed it's easy to discern who is a gigging musician and who's a bedroom player (the kind I find that tend to regurgitate popular opinion). Not having a pop at non-gigging guys at all but 90% of the time what you hear out of a 30-watt combo in your bedroom isn't going to be the same coming out of a 500 watt rig in a crowded room (not taking into account other instruments and the mix as a whole).
[/quote]

It was interesting to listen to some of the makers talk about lawyers and doctors being the main market, it makes me wonder whether some of these pedals are designed for bedroom-players and whether they work in a band scenario is something of a lottery.

• 3 weeks later...