Why become a member? ×

keeping the shiny look of a Warwick wenge fingerboard

Kev

Being new to the world of new era Warwick's, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the wenge fretboards have a lovely sheen to them, in comparison to the old Warwicks I am used to. Now, I have looked all over the net and not found anyone talking about this. I know lemon oil does not give this sheen, what does? Is it just the fresh-ish wood, or is wax/different oil used?

I'll try and take a picture to show you what I mean, but hopefully someone will know what I am talking about!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1386365862' post='2299477']
Being new to the world of new era Warwick's, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the wenge fretboards have a lovely sheen to them, in comparison to the old Warwicks I am used to. Now, I have looked all over the net and not found anyone talking about this. I know lemon oil does not give this sheen, what does? Is it just the fresh-ish wood, or is wax/different oil used?

I'll try and take a picture to show you what I mean, but hopefully someone will know what I am talking about!
[/quote]

Hmmmm.

I sometimes use wenge for the handles of sgian dubhs (a dagger, traditional to Scotland) that I make. In order to give it a solid and even sheen I give the wood a good coat of shellac, sand it back, then another skim of shellac, rubbing back with increasingly fine grades of wet and dry until the impregnated wood is basically being polished. The shellac does a good job of sealing the wood, also getting right into those deep grain recesses which are typical in wenge.

I'm not sure of Warwicks method, but this is certainly one way to do it.

Here is the pic, should hopefully be able to see the glossy look I am talking about:

[attachment=150184:IMG_1597.JPG]

As opposed to this pic of my old Thumb bass, with no sheen (board was lemon oiled whilst I owned it)

[attachment=150185:SAM_0205.JPG]

Again, it may be just my overexposure to old Warwicks and the fretboard will dull over time, but if it is polished in some way to keep it glossy I would like to keep it that way :)

Edited by Kev

• 4 weeks later...

I had the generic response of using beeswax or lemon oil, neither of which would give the sheen it has. I think it has a finish on it that will probably wear off over time, rather than it be something you can keep applying regularly. No other experience with post 2010 Warwicks for comparison. I should probably ask on the Warwick forum I guess.

Carnuba wax will do it. I apply it to a custom strat I have. Keep applying it and polishing and it will eventually go to a high sheen - but not a gloss as such. I think that's where you want to be, shiny but not that wet look gloss look.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1388934966' post='2327775']
Shellac is your friend.
[/quote]

That could be exactly what it is. It can't be a wax or oil as it just, for want of a better description, looks like it has a thin finish on it. We'll see how it lasts!

Cheers guys.