Why become a member? ×

Are the pre - Wilkinson Vintage les Paul copies any good?

Greggo

Someone is interested in swapping my unused Ibanez guitar for a Vintage les Paul copy. Now, if it were the current range with the Wilkinson pickups I'd be all over it. But the one on questions is an older version from late 90s so non Wilkinson pickups or hardware.

Anyone know if they are still any good for what they are or avoid?

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1386362469' post='2299415']
Someone is interested in swapping my unused Ibanez guitar for a Vintage les Paul copy. Now, if it were the current range with the Wilkinson pickups I'd be all over it. But the one on questions is an older version from late 90s so non Wilkinson pickups or hardware.

[/quote]

What sort of Ibanez?

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1386363542' post='2299431']

What sort of Ibanez?
[/quote]

Ibanez RG 270 DX

Edit - decided not to go ahead anyway as I'm after a Telecaster style guitar really.

Edited by Greggo

[size=5][sup]For the benefit of anyone looking in future---I've had a couple of pre-Wilkinson Vintage instruments (not a Les Paul, though) and they were both really good (for the cash). The hardware isn't as good as the Wilkinson stuff and I'd want to try before I bought, but they're worth checking out at least.[/sup][/size]

I don't suppose anyone knows what year Vintage started using Wilkinson hardware?
Only, I've got a VS6 (their SG copy) which must be about 10 years old now. I suspect the hardware is not Wilkinson (can't see any logo or decal on the p/ups), and I've toyed with the idea of upgrading the pickups - would I be correct in assuming that a pair of Wilkinsons* would be a good replacement?

*not a euphemism

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1386951411' post='2306763']
I don't suppose anyone knows what year Vintage started using Wilkinson hardware?
Only, I've got a VS6 (their SG copy) which must be about 10 years old now. I suspect the hardware is not Wilkinson (can't see any logo or decal on the p/ups), and I've toyed with the idea of upgrading the pickups - would I be correct in assuming that a pair of Wilkinsons* would be a good replacement?

*not a euphemism
[/quote]

I think it was around 2009 from checking google. 10 years old it will most certainly not be Wilkinson unfortunately.

Wilkinson pickups are definitely worth a punt. I bought a £50 plywood telecaster last year and put some Wilkinson pickups in and the difference was definitely noticeable. Actually sounds like more like tele now rather than a £50 plywood guitar!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1386362469' post='2299415']

[/quote]

I tried one a couple of years ago and was really surprised at how awful it sounded - was buying for my at the time 10year old. I wouldn't have had it if it was free quite frankly. Ended up buying an Epi Les Paul - which was / is so much better.