Why become a member? ×

confused, new or 2nd hand

Dennis1971

Buy second hand, ask for help on here if you wish to make sure on anything, and then you can always sell on for a similar price if you wish to upgrade or side step and try something else next.

I believe buying new is only for those who really know exactly what they want, except perhaps if you wish to buy a budget bass

[quote name='Dennis1971' timestamp='1386325011' post='2298706']
Driving myself mad, looking at basses in the 2nd hand section.

I have a budget of about £500 and started looking at first in my local shop, limited in choice since it's mostly Fender/Squier. Didn't like the laquered necks on some of the squiers (classic and VM). Did like the Fender PBass American special but at £845 out of the budget. So maybe I should be looking 2nd hand, main problem and don't have experience with 80% of the makes/models so need some advice.

I have had:

Fender Jazz MIM (around 2000) - liked neck and playability but sound wise a bit bland
Yamaha BB5 - played easy, didn't like 5 string did sound crisp but a bit clinical

So my shopping list at the moment says, classic styled, 4 string, passive bass.
Sound: I grew up with G'n R, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Live and now like about anything out there from Modern Country, Rock, Indie etc. But overall more classic bass sound
Playing style: I am a finger style, no plectrum, no slappig kind a guy.
Amp: The bass will be played through a Genz Benz contour 210

Any advice which basses to look out for that I might not consider.....

Thanks

Dennis
[/quote]

It's difficult to make an out-and-out recommendation when your net is being spread so wide, Dennis, but I would echo what other folks have said by and large. You have got a fairly respectable budget, so go out and try a decent Precision Bass, a decent Jazz Bass, and if you can fingd a Yamaha BB to check out then include that as well, and try and get a feeling for what you do and don't like and then take it from there.

One word of caution would be that when it comes to Fender basses, there is[u][i] huge [/i][/u]variation in the neck profile and dimensions between one specific model and another, so an American Special Precision will have a neck that feels very different to an American Vintage Precision , for example. Just because you like the feel of one Precision or Jazz Bass it doesn't mean that you will like the feel of every single model that says Precision or Jazz on it , so try if at all possible to find out if you like the shape of the neck on any prospective purchase.

Once you know what you like , then you can pick up some terriffic bargains from the classifieds on Basschat compared to shop prices , so it really is worth taking an interest in the For Sale section .

Edited by Dingus

Yeah, can't go wrong with a decent 2ndhand P-bass, if you want 2ndhand, and as long as you try before you buy. But if it doesn't have to say 'Fender' on the headstock, you could consider getting a really excellent brand new instrument that is very well suited to the sounds you are into: the MTD Kingston CRB. You can get one for £429 from Bass Direct. That's a hell of a lot of bass for the money there.

Thanks for all the advice gentleman bassist. Much appreciated.
Well aware I am looking at many different options, but he thats half the fun sometimes.

Had a jazz mim in the past and played lovely but wasn't the best sounding, played a reverend decision last week which was pretty good, also played squier cv precision '50 style which was good, american pbass special was a lot nicer than I was expecting. I don't seem to struggle with the different necks that much, do dislike the thick lacquer on some.

Thanks again for the friendly advice.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1386360450' post='2299388']
Yeah, can't go wrong with a decent 2ndhand P-bass, if you want 2ndhand, and as long as you try before you buy. But if it doesn't have to say 'Fender' on the headstock, you could consider getting a really excellent brand new instrument that is very well suited to the sounds you are into: the MTD Kingston CRB. You can get one for £429 from Bass Direct. That's a hell of a lot of bass for the money there.
[/quote]

Never heard of these before, video sounds good.

More options, just what i need

Edited by Dennis1971

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1386360450' post='2299388']
[/quote]
I'd go as far as to say when buying 2nd hand I'd be wary of buying anything with "Fender" on the headstock. If you don't know the finer points of the Fender designs it's so very easy to buy a re-badged bitsa as there are so many on flea-bay these days.

There have been loads of threads on here where the experts are laughing at a faked Fender, saying its clearly a fake. Yet when I look I can't see what gives it away. So I'd definitely say, be careful on buying a 2nd hand Fender.