Why become a member? ×

Self build OR 2nd hand purchase?

dazza14

I'm torn between working on a bass body I bought (right here on BC!) or saving my pennies and hopefully picking a second hand bass. I'll explain... I bought this 1975 red Columbus bass from here a few months ago, been stripping the paint away to reveal a rather 'nice' ply body with the intentions to either sell on or leave until the impulse to do something with it came along. Anyway in the meantime I've played a Squier Jaguar HB bass which I really liked and it started me thinking maybe I could fit a humbucker to this jazz body, get a new scratchplate made - to cover the neck pickup cavity of the jazz - wait for a neck to appear by magic on here or E-Bay and hey presto I've got my own version of the HB Jag/Jazz! [attachment=149887:jazz red.gif]

[attachment=149888:DSCN9860.JPG]Update; I've done a quick mock-up of how the bass would/could look with a modified scratch plate and Humbucker fitted... I think I would also consider going thru-body with the bridge and string feed so add to this a new bridge and possibly a new loom from Kiogon for the 'lectrics.

There's something special about a bass you've made yourself, for yourself. Even if it's only fitting a collection of pre bought parts together it will always be nicer than a complete second hand one you've bought because it will be exactly what you want from a bass rather than someone else's ideas.

I think i'm going to let fate decide, by this I mean i'll finish sanding the body and chuck it on e-bay for a 7 day listing, if it sells, great, decision made and i'll put the money towards the Squier, but if it doesn't - i'll go into my shed and dig out the router to make the cavity for the HB and go from there. I think whatever happens it's going to take some time to either save the money for the Squier or get the money for the parts i'll need...

• 1 month later...

[size=3]Well I've decided to put a few things on a shopping list and see what comes up first on here or e-bay, Gumtree etc. 1. A neck (63mm pocket) preferably a Fender type headstock. 2. A humbucker, second hand if possible although the Wilkinson ones are pretty cheap brand new. 3. Neck plate, cheap on ebay. 4. Typical hardwear like knobs and electrics. 5. If it all sounds nice and lovely, a new scratchplate minus the neck pup 'gap'.[/size]

I have 2 self built / parts basses and 2 self build guitars. Great fun to do the project, and a little frustrating at times, but you are able to choose things just the way you want them. Go the self build route, you can always sell the parts off at a later date if you don't like it.
Be warned though. Self building is quite addictive. There is always somethig not quite right and needing changing.

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1389886390' post='2339134']
I have 2 self built / parts basses and 2 self build guitars. Great fun to do the project, and a little frustrating at times, but you are able to choose things just the way you want them. Go the self build route, you can always sell the parts off at a later date if you don't like it.
Be warned though. Self building is quite addictive. There is always somethig not quite right and needing changing.
[/quote]

Tell me about it. I originally build a P bass with maple jazz neck on. Love it. The next thing i got hooked up is adding a J pickup near the bridge. Now I'm aftering a new bridge, tuner and 2x stack pots to adjust the volume/tone for each pickup lol.