Why become a member? ×

Torn for a new pre-amp pedal! Help!

topheteatwo

Looking something to beef up my tone and round it all up!

I'm looking at the Tronographic Rusty Box, Fuzzrocious BDPG and the Aguliar Tone Hammer.

Playing a Fender P with Dimarzio Model P's going though an OCD, Rat Tail and Bass Big Muff and then finally an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro pushing an Orange 2x12 and a DIY 2x15

Any suggestions guys?

Out of those only used the Aggie - very nice pedal, to me sounds like Ampeg but "moderned up". Looking at your gear I reckon it would fit quite nicely. Another good range to look at for Precision/Ampeg fans are the Dave Hall Amps (DHA) range. Seriously good gear.

I've had a go on the Tone Hammer and Rusty Box, and they have pretty different applications. The TH seemed to be intended to make a passive bass active (I believe it contains their OBP3 onboard preamp in a box, with a buffer to prevent signal loss!?), so works best straight after the bass, whereas the RB seemed to work better when treated like the front end of an amp, near the end of a chain with effects, etc running into it.

I currently have an Aguilar DB924 which I use in the former fashion, and a Catalinbread SFT which I use in the latter fashion!

Al

BDPG is a seriously cool pedal. Real nice dirt, with a ton of lows if you want it.
As you increase the lows, you lose dirt, to the point of real dubby clean lows. However there are a couple of great 'sweet-spots' for lows/dirt, especially with a P-bass

I think Ryan is still doing some good deals on tshirts/swag with new pedal orders etc

Si

My favourite threads.

For which I shall always suggest the Xotic BB preamp.

I have ny third coming in (although a clone) and I will be looking at getting the CS one on eBay that has an added mids EQ.

Versatile, great range on the gain knob, and low end for days.

edit- I like it so much I had to post twice.

Edited by Prime_BASS

Thanks for all the replies guys!

But my faith and love for Fuzzrocious gear is just too great, I'm gonna need to get that BDPG, I think it'll work best for what my band is going for, only problem is it's really hard to find decent clips of it but after listening to Ryan's band Cavale on Bandcamp there, I can only assume that some of those riffs had the BDPG on it and it's the exact tone I want.

I just want a broke dick guys...

I'd love to hear some good BDPG clips, esp on a P bass. There's very little decent in the way of soundclips out there in the public domain. It's weakness of Fuzzrocious as a business I think. Both of the Fuzzrocious pedals I have owned have been remarkable pedals though. They (he ?) certainly has great ears and knows pedal electronics.

Noted :)
I've not tried an OCD, but I know the Demon has more gain to it. Ryan has also built a few LED clipping Demon's which come out slightly less compressed and a bit more lairy than the MOSFET clipping.

p.s.
Do you play with pick or fingers?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1386167913' post='2296651']
Noted :)
I've not tried an OCD, but I know the Demon has more gain to it. Ryan has also built a few LED clipping Demon's which come out slightly less compressed and a bit more lairy than the MOSFET clipping.

p.s.
Do you play with pick or fingers?

Si
[/quote]

Never really liked anything with mosfet clipping, inparticular the fulltone bass drive.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1386239787' post='2297496']

Never really liked anything with mosfet clipping, inparticular the fulltone bass drive.
[/quote]

Yeah I wouldn't have MOSFET as my initial choice, but I can make it work, and my Demon does sound awesome. Given the choice, I use LEDs, or certainly that's what I'm running my GS (asymmetric LEDs), RT, Cog 66 etc.
Interestingly, the Rat I built with clipping options sounds better low-gain with no diodes selected, and better in high-gain with LEDs.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1386428261' post='2300007']
There you go :)
Listen through decent headphones/speakers please! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSL9jALcHNk

Si
[/quote]

Nice one Si ! Much appreciated.

I particularly liked the Demon on it's own right near the start. Is that a standard Demon ? I don't remember my old Demon King sounding quite like that.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1386441250' post='2300223']

Nice one Si ! Much appreciated.

I particularly liked the Demon on it's own right near the start. Is that a standard Demon ? I don't remember my old Demon King sounding quite like that.
[/quote]

Hey bud,

Yeah completely stock/standard Demon :)
I think it was low-gain at the start of the vid.
If it makes a difference, I played the bass part with a pick (not my strong-point), but if you're a fingers player like I am 90% of the time, it's going to sound less grindy.

Si