Why become a member? ×

Pain in little finger (Pinky) left hand

jayk

Recently i have been doing a lot of exercises and stretches across the fret board to increase the strength in my little finger and i am now getting a pain that I am quite worried about.

The pain is in the major knuckle almost between the two fingers (ring finger and little finger) and down the back of the hand. The other three fingers are fine and no pain occurs when i play with these but just the little finger. It feels as though i may have torn something or hopefully its just something I am over reacting about as its not causing a huge amount of pain just a certain discomfort as i play with my little finger.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before and what would you suggest to help or do next? I know rest is an obvious one but would you recommend seeing a Doctor and having the problem checked out?

I'm 21 and have been playing since i was 16, i know my technique is good so i don't think its that, i just think i may have over done it with my little finger as i wanted to build the strength very quickly.

I also have a few gigs coming over the next few weeks.

[quote name='jayk' timestamp='1385954078' post='2294065']

I know rest is an obvious one but would you recommend seeing a Doctor and having the problem checked out?

[/quote]

This.
Whatever advice us lot can give you, your first port of call should be the Doc.

Good luck.

go to the doctor.

Even if everyone here was medically qualified you need to have someone examine your finger, it is probably nothing to worry about but it needs checking as early as possible especially if you need to be ready for the gigs. Make an appointment this morning.

Good luck

Another plus 1 to seeing a doctor. When you get the all clear to start playing again, here is a great exercise away from the bass, for developing the pinkie.

Hope you get the all clear soon. :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab-dtzrAnkg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab-dtzrAnkg[/url]

I once got tenosynivitis when I upped my practice level and took on some new streches and techniques. (See [url="http://www.patient.co.uk/health/tendonitis-and-tenosynovitis"]http://www.patient.c...d-tenosynovitis[/url]). It's an inflammation of the tunnel that the tendon moves in, causing the tendon to travel less freely than in otherwise would do. Rest and anti-inflammatories sorted it out, and it's not been a problem since.

Of course you might have a gangrenous Mount of Mercury for all I know, so best to head to the GP for a proper diagonsis.

Edited by toneknob

I don't think it is anything too bad as its not hurting anywhere near as much today when i play, but I'm booked in to see the GP anyway. Thanks for the replies guys, i will definitely make more effort in taking care of my hands from now!

[quote name='jayk' timestamp='1386022375' post='2294834']
I don't think it is anything too bad as its not hurting anywhere near as much today when i play, but I'm booked in to see the GP anyway. Thanks for the replies guys, i will definitely make more effort in taking care of my hands from now!
[/quote]
Good call.

I caught my left hand index finger on a rusty nail at work last week. No big deal...... However it's now infected and hurting like hell. Got some iodine today so let's hope. It looks like nothing but it's extremely debilitating.

Man I'm a pussy.