Why become a member? ×

Why do some landlords not promote gigs?

molan

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1385297000' post='2286485']
Played at a nice pub last night. Decent sized venue, good beer, nice people - problem is there were hardly any of them there!
[/quote]

Same for us a week or so ago. New gig for us. Landlady apologised, said it had been quiet for a few weeks, those that were in liked us and we got rebooked. We did drag an extra 6 people of our own in but seeing as we were just under 30 miles away from home we were never going to get loads there,

We're in the fortunate position gig wise to be a bit picky these days, so as far as were concerned the pubs got one more go at it, if it's a flat night when we go back, then we won't be going again.

We do what we can to promote our gigs, often a lot more than the pub itself, but if your on the pub circuit you really want venues that have a decent audience because the standard of band they generally have is enough to bring punters in knowing that their local always has a decent band on.

We still do what we can to help gigs that are new to trying live music, ie reduced fee and heavy promotion from us but at the end of the day if it's well out of your area you have to rely on the pub more than your following.

For me it depends on type of venue and type of band. Bands (covers or originals) should always use their social media and email lists to promote shows. Originals bands especially need to push.
Venues (some) seem to think that booking a band can will solve low turnover issues. Personally I think pubs that have regular bands need to think long term. If you want to be a recognised live music venue you need to regularly book decent bands. Don't rely on the band bringing all that night's trade. Work on building a customer base of your own that come regularly because they see your venue as a place that regularly has quality live music. That way you can reasonably expect good bands to see you as a worthwhile gig to really promote and you have a more stable platform in case a band brings nobody along allowing you to avoid total washout nights. Bands that don't promote to the best of their ability don't deserve to get regular slots at the decent venues. Venues that don't invest in building a reputation can't expect the best local acts to want to play there.
If you are relying on bands to bring the punters make sure you state this when booking to avoid disappointment.
In the OP's case I think this was a little unlucky as the venue clearly doesn't have the reputation it likes to think it has.

Edited by mrtcat

Best pubs round here see to work on a nucleus of 20-30 locals who turn out...plus bands are expected to do the same and then you have a good night.
I now think one of those pubs has turned the corner and can afford any band they wanted round here... but I doubt they will do that every week.

As for bands, does a full rig of lights and decent P.A get them more money than a 3 piece blues outfit who make the least effort....but then since it is such an easy gig for them, they can probably afford to go out for £150.

Personally, I think the pub scene has moved on... but then we get into the too much work for the money syndrome..!!