Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003 Set Up

spongebob

Trying to set up a Ric 4003.....

The action wasn't too bad down the neck, but progressively higher and bad (for me) at the 12th.

I did a small 'righty tighty' on the truss rods to straighten things out.

However, now the lower frets buzz like bad, the strings are way too close. But at the 12th, it's still a little higher than I'd like!

Any thoughts? Or is it off to my local luthier?

As long as you don't damage the truss rod everything should work out OK. Check for relief and then set action height.

When I set up basses I still sometimes get confused as to what exactly to tweak first - Best to do small changes and plenty of checks. Dual truss-rod necks are not something I've dealt with. I can only recommend careful sighting of the neck to avoid warping.

From what you've described I'd agree with geoffbyrne - you've got all the signs of a backbow. Loosen the truss rods until the neck is straight or slightly bowed. You can easily check this by holding the bass on a knee, fretting the 1st fret with your fretting hand, then fretting the 17th fret with your middle finger on your plucking hand and tapping the string with your playing thumb (below the 17th fret of course). It should have a little travel. If it's flat to the deck you're dead flat or have a backbow.

Like geoffbyrne said - you need to adjust the action - Lower the bridge saddles/bridge. I haven't the foggiest how a rick bridge works however.