Why become a member? ×

Help needed - Playing through a Zoom B3 into the PA

Guest MoJo

For my party band, I've abandoned my rig in favour of a B3 into the desk and in-ear monitoring. At my first outing,factory presets still in place, I selected the SVT patch. The engineer told me that my signal was too hot so, I went into global settings and gradually reduced the output level from the default 100. It wasn't until I got to 30 that I got the thumbs up. This seems very low. How do other B3 users get on?

I tweaked my settings slightly when I first got it, I've used it for about 18 months straight into the desk and never had this problem.
Used it for two recording sessions and they told me it was a hot signal but not a problem and I didn't have to alter the settings at all to suit them.
I use the SVT patch with an output level of 70 (on the global menu).

Edited by Noah Deere

On mine virtually all the levels I use are at less than half, I find them far too "full-on" otherwise. I want my sound through the B3 to sound like my amp so set it up to emulate this. Additionally I have the simulated speaker completely off - a tip aired on Talkbass. I`ve been through a good few PAs and not had any issues.

I have a 9.1ut and find that engineers like low sh*t signals which they wack the gain up on. This is sh*t if you also plug it in to a power amp for monitoring, as you dont have a hot signal any more!

To solve this I bought an [url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xlr+attenuator&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=d0CTUtWTDe2MyQPyxYDIBA#q=xlr+attenuator&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=shop"]attenuator [/url]and just put this inline to the signal to the PA. I also bought a short xlr cable also to avoid it getting knocked whilst sticking out the back of the unit and for some stress releif (for the socket!!!)

What about just turning the patch levels down, and leaving the output level where it is?
I found all the patches were very loud when i got mine, and i was overloading our desk. Rather than turn the output down i just adjusted the patches. I mainly did it this way as i was also overloading my ears when using headphones.

I use the individual stomp levels to get the sound/feel I want for each patch then use the "total" level to adjust the overall level for each patch relative to the others so they're all where they should be for a set. That leaves the "global" level to set my final output to whatever the sound guy wants.

I've taken the B3 DI straight into the desk for the last few gigs, works really well if the monitors are good enough...

EDIT to add I deleted all the factory patches the first day I had it - subtle they are not.

Edited by ChrisB