Why become a member? ×

Opinion's on Elixirs Nanoweb

jazzyitalian

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1387190950' post='2309067']
Sorry can't fit in 10 words but here it is:

I am a long time Elixir user (10+ years). For a pub-club-theatre gigging bass player I might say there isn't any other brand that comes even close in terms of durability (Never heard of the Cleartones posted above but I'm just about to order and try them). I do 3-6 gigs per week and if I play any other strings, including the coated DR's, they get very dark and muddy after only 3-4 gigs (my hands sweat a lot while I'm playing). Elixirs last and last and last... Never had the coating flaking to me, apart from when I played them for a year + on my main bass (in the old days).

However I must agree that there's a trade off and it's big especially if you are a tone freak (I am in a way).
They do sound dull and some kinda dead compare to regular strings. So if you are more of a recording/stadium/festival touring bass player I wouldn't recommend.
I could never get the same tone with Elixir that I get from ErnieBalls on my StingRay5. In fact any other decent set of strings has more clarity, much more growl and definition. For about 3 gigs that is.

So whenever I have an important studio session or higher profile gig, I put on a set of Ernies. Rest of the time - Elixirs.
Hope that helps.
Steff
[/quote]

How did you get on with the Cleartone EMPs man?

I still haven't tried them... Have just bought 3 packs of some cheapos to see how they gonna feel, after that I'm gonna try the bass player elites nickel, heard great things about them. If still not happy, I will try the cleartones.

• 2 months later...

Not great from me either. I got a pair of Stainless Steel Elixirs to go on my Jazz. I found they created an increased 60Hz hum. Tried them on all my other basses and found the only bass i didnt get 60Hz hum with them fitted was my Lakland Skyline which is the only bass i have without open pole pickups. After researching the subject i found out that coated strings affect the grounding of a bass as the vast majority of them have non-conductive coatings and interfere with the bridge ground. The only coated strings to have a conductive coating are D'Addario EXP's and Cleartones.

[quote name='xroads' timestamp='1395831666' post='2406757']
My Lakland DJ5 came with a new set of them; the B and E string were dead. Initially, I thought the bass had a problem.
Changed the strings and all is good...
[/quote]My latest Ibby came with them fitted which was handy as I was using them anyway, but the B string wasn't as clear as my old Lakland. I initially put this down to the different scale lengths (35 vs 34) but the other day I changed the B string for a used Elixir I had laying about - much better, so I changed all the strings. I can only surmise that Elixirs bought on a grand scale by bass manufacturers might be of an inferior quality.

• 6 months later...

I'm gonna revive this old thread a bit...

I'm looking for some nice long lasting zingy strings to go on my new Squire VM jazz. I loved the Fender string sound when they were new but they died off within 2 weeks of owning the bass. So I'm thinking of getting some coated strings. Usually I don't like bright zingy strings and I have Overwater nickelwounds on my other basses. These are almost identical to GHS bass boomers in terms of sound and the drop-off when being played in. I normally like them after a week of playing where they lose their metallic zing and settle into a warm growl.

Anyway, I now love the brigher zingy sound of new Fender 7250 strings and I want that brightness to last. So I was thinking of Elixir steels as I heard they sound like new nickelwounds i.e. they're not as bright as steel strings but will sound like nice fresh nickels. Am I right in thinking this?

I did look for the Cleartones but a). I can't find any in stock online, B). they're nickel not steel and c). they don't come in the 45-100 gauge that I like on my jazz. Also in contention are the D'addario EXP strings which will get around any 60hz hum that the Elixirs can produce.