Why become a member? ×

Respray Q

sblueplanet

Be careful if you try masking off areas to be left as bare wood, once you remove the masking tape there will be a ridge around that area which would need to be feathered in. It might be easier to refinish it then re-relic it, or better still as Grangur says, gig it and relic it naturally. Good luck whatever you do

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1384966331' post='2282916']
Just a thought. If I dont apply primer to those areas will that mean that the final respray colour won't adhere to those bits and come back off?
[/quote] It may work to some extent, but it's going to be hard to get a result that looks genuine to anyone within arms reach of the instrument. If all you want is something that looks ok to the audience, then you're ok.

Quite frankly you've no real option than a full respray and start to make it look [s]crap[/s] relic'd all over again

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1384982756' post='2283205']
Just paint it, why would you want the exposed wood?
[/quote]

LOL, yeah. IMHO Young dude with relic bass = stupid kid who doesn't look after his gear.... but that's just me being me.

Edit: If however, you play like Jaco and look like Jaco, then I take it all back.

Edited by Grangur

Try using a small dose of putty applied on the dings. Then paint the body thoroughly. I know some Star Wars cosplayers making sets of dented battle armours used that method. After painting in colour, they simple removed the putty, revealing the metallic painted underlayer.