Why become a member? ×

The Killers: All These Things.... chords at the end?

Marvin

There is a difference of opinion in my covers band about the last sung part of this song and what the chords to it are. It's the part that starts with " Over and in, last call for sin...." etc

On the one hand you have those who think it's

Ebm, Abm, B, Db, Gb
Ebm, B, Db, Gb

Then there are those who think it goes,

Ebm, B, Abm, Db, Gb
Ebm, Abm, B, Gb.

Opinions?

Ta

We play

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ebm, Abm, B, Db, Gb[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ebm, B, Db, Gb[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No idea if that's correct though![/font][/color]

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1384622405' post='2278882']
We play

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ebm, Abm, B, Db, Gb[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ebm, B, Db, Gb[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No idea if that's correct though![/font][/color]
[/quote]

That's what I think it is, and it seems to fit perfectly when you play it against the record. Thanks Barry :)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1384622599' post='2278885']
I used to gig it all the time a few years back, can't remember it at all now.

Not much help, am I?
[/quote]

:) Memorable bass line then...

Edited by Marvin

For starters, you should learn to understand what the tonic is and where the chord series begins. The piece is in Gb. You're starting on VI.

You should also mark how many beats each cord plays. That will clarify where the changes come. e.g Gb///I////IEbm///I/// etc.

Secondly, a B has the same notes as a Abm7. What determines the actual chord 99% of time is the bass note. As a bassist it's imperative to hear that. In this case, the bass is playing an Ab.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1384643748' post='2279181']
For starters, you should learn to understand what the tonic is and where the chord series begins. The piece is in Gb. You're starting on VI.

You should also mark how many beats each cord plays. That will clarify where the changes come. e.g Gb///I////IEbm///I/// etc.

Secondly, a B has the same notes as a Abm7. What determines the actual chord 99% of time is the bass note. As a bassist it's imperative to hear that. In this case, the bass is playing an Ab.
[/quote]

I know the song is in Gb, if you read the original post I'm referring to the end of the song where, approximately, the band start playing an Eb. I apologise, however, I thought most BCers were, like Molan, fairly savvy and wouldn't require a full chart to gauge an opinion. I'll bear it in mind next time I post a question like this.

B and Abm7 have the same notes? Does B have an Ab in it?. Despite that I can't remember mentioning Abm7 and your point about the bass is playing an Ab doesn't precisely explain where. Perhaps you should have marked how many beats the chord played and clarified where it was being played.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1384698258' post='2279567']
The last 3 chords of the of song sounds like a vanilla major key IV V I turnaround so I'll vote for the first version too.
[/quote]

Cheers mate.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1384643748' post='2279181']

[/quote]

Or. . .

You could listen to the appropriate part of the song for a few seconds and answer the OP's question quickly and efficiently without condescension.

Unless you're wearing chords of course :)

Wow, everybody's panties are a bit tight today. Hey, I stand by what I said. I answered your question and you're breaking my balls? Take the advice or don't.

And yes, B has the same notes as Ab7 -- both have B, D# and F#. But the Abm7 has an Ab root. So if you play a B with an Ab in the bass, it's same chord.

Next time, instead of trying for the snarky come-back, try listening. You might learn something.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1385076117' post='2284336']
Next time, instead of trying for the snarky come-back, try listening. You might learn something.
[/quote]

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1384731608' post='2280187']
You could listen to the appropriate part of the song for a few seconds and answer the OP's question quickly and efficiently [b]without condescension[/b].
[/quote]

Edited by risingson

Wow, everybody's panties are a bit tight today. Hey, I stand by what I said. I answered your question and you're breaking my balls? Take the advice or don't.

And yes, B has the same notes as Ab7 -- both have B, D# and F#. But the Abm7 has an Ab root. So if you play a B with an Ab in the bass, it's same chord.

[/quote]

I don't think think this is actually correct?

The OP asked an really simple question and was looking for an equally simple answer - something he received without anyone trying to look 'clever'.

You told him to "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]understand what the tonic is and where the chord series begins. The piece is in Gb. You're starting on VI. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You should also mark how many beats each cord plays. That will clarify where the changes come. e.g Gb///I////IEbm///I/// etc. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Secondly, a B has the same notes as a Abm7. What determines the actual chord 99% of time is the bass note. As a bassist it's imperative to hear that. In this case, the bass is playing an Ab" [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Basically you told him that his question was somehow lacking in a basic understanding of music theory in, what appeared to be, an attempt to make you seem superior in musical knowledge to him.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]That's not other people getting panties twisted - it's just you making a crass and cheap shot at another bass player (or two). . . [/font][/color]

[/quote]

That is some proper rudeness right there. Wind it in.

[/quote]

Ab or G# being the relative minor to B major has the same notes. A B triad with an Ab bass note would be an Am7 chord.

A bit of a condescending reply :)

Eh, I think some of you are just looking for a reason to pile on. My point to the OP was that if he needs help, it'd make sense to be as clear as possible. I never heard the song so i had to do a bit of deciphering from his post to find out how to explain it. Not everyone may go to the same lengths. And, un, yeah, you're welcome.

And even when my point of a B triad being the same as a Abm7, STILL, it isn't good enough. Geez, everyone is so sensitive. Maybe it's a Gen Y thing. They can't take criticism without crying and demanding an apology if they fart and the world doesn't applaud.

You can all go on about how rude I am -- it gives everyone a free shot to insult me. That's fine. But you may not want to reconsider being a musician if you can't take the slightest bit of direction.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1385079502' post='2284381']

You can all go on about how rude I am -- it gives everyone a free shot to insult me. That's fine. But you may not want to reconsider being a musician if you can't take the slightest bit of direction.
[/quote]

So you don't think telling people they need direction on how to ask a question is rude?

Astonishing - maybe all the people who comment about the way you respond to them are all wrong and you are the only one that's ever right?

Or is that just because you're the only real musician here?

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1385079502' post='2284381']
Eh, I think some of you are just looking for a reason to pile on. My point to the OP was that if he needs help, it'd make sense to be as clear as possible. I never heard the song so i had to do a bit of deciphering from his post to find out how to explain it. Not everyone may go to the same lengths. And, un, yeah, you're welcome.

And even when my point of a B triad being the same as a Abm7, STILL, it isn't good enough. Geez, everyone is so sensitive. Maybe it's a Gen Y thing. They can't take criticism without crying and demanding an apology.

[/quote]

Surely a pattern can be noted by now, your replies often evoke a less than charitable reply from the rest of us. It's maybe worth assessing your attempts at help because on this occasion your reply on the face of things appeared belittling and condescending where no such attitude was required. The fact that it has been noted by more than a few people is not a coincidence and it's very possible you're getting a kick from it, but if this is a fact that is to pass you by blindly then the one thing to take away from this is to maybe look at how you choose to word stuff to other people. It's a friendly forum by and large, your reply was far from friendly.