Why become a member? ×

Hello all!

Fred Leicester

Been lurking on here for a bit and thought I would sign up and say hello!

I'm 36, been playing bass for 17 years now, having previously been primarily a guitarist from the age of 14-19. Funnily enough, I wanted a bass from age 11, but kinda fell into the guitar when a mate lent me some Hendrix and I was blown away by it and simply had to start playing...!

Switched on to bass when I was 19 in order to join a band (although kept up the 6 string as well, thinking I might be able to switch onto that at some point) and never looked back - was completely converted to bass! I moved from being a pick player, as a hangover from playing guitar, into fingerstyle and the very occasional slap (so to speak). :D

Played bass throughout my twenties and early thirties, trying to get signed and having some success, but when it all came to an end I was a bit heartbroken and sold most of my gear (Ashdown EVO 500, Musicman Stingray 4, Warwick Streamer 5) and basically sulked for a few years about it all. Well, a few years on and I've really got the bug to play again, having moved away from the rock/indie stuff I used to play and moved towards funk/soul/jazz - I've always had a soft spot and played some of this at home for fun, but had little chance to use it live with the bands I was in.

So I purchased a new Musicman Stingray 4 in natural/maple neck, which arrived today and it's wonderful - it just felt like coming home! The old fingers still seem to work pretty well and I think, with a few weeks practice, I won't be far off where I left off. I'm in contact with some old band mates and should be having a reunion gig next year (which will be some of the old stuff we used to play, pop rock stuff basically), but I'm now looking for a new challenge as well with some like minded funky players, just to see what happens. I don't have any illusions about getting signed or anything like that anymore, that boat has well and truly sailed, but just to write some music, plays some gigs and have fun playing music I really love.

This forum has been really helpful so far, in terms of getting up to speed with whats new in the world of bass, having been out of it for a few years, and I look forward to gleaning lots more info in the future!

Cheers guys and gals,

Paul (aka Fred)