Why become a member? ×

Peavey or Laney cheapo 1x15 combos....

Wayne Firefly

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a Laney RB7 which is a 2x10 combo. I don't think I've had it turned up over 6.... it shifts some serious air. Built like an MDF outhouse. Sounds a bit "twangy" at low volumes which I use for practice at home, but picks its skirt up and gets going when you start turning it up. It also has lots of buttons, most of which I leave alone!

The only problem I've found with it is the rear bass ports. Now if you own a cat (or a cat owns you, as you please) and it likes ratting - you can guess what is coming. Now image ratty having a nice kip in his felt lined cat-proof house. All of a sudden someone opens the gates of hell in your bedroom :-) I did not know he was living in there, I hope his tinnitus has subsided. I had to take the cab to bits to get all the cats food out of the amp. The useless cat had allowed ratty to steal his biscuits and stack them in the amp which doubled as his bedroom.

Cheers,
Rich

• 8 months later...

Today I noticed a Laney 300w 1x15 combo second hand in town for £120. It was heavier than I expected. The front grill was made of some tough seeming material, not just a cloth grill.

It looked very much like this: http://www.musicworks.co.nz/bass-combos/rb8-laney-richter-300w-1x15-bass-combo/ But, the Laney logo on the front had something else written on it, e.g. "mad <something or other>". Does anyone know what model of amp it's likely that I've seen. It looked very much like the RB8, but I'm wondering if it's an earlier model. From looking around, it seems that there were some other models around before the series was named "RB", but I can't find a 1x15" model.

Any help/advice/opinions would be appreciated. I think I'm likely to wait longer to buy something, but while this amp is available at what seems a reasonable price, I do want to check it out.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1414233884' post='2587301']
Today I noticed a Laney 300w 1x15 combo second hand in town for £120. It was heavier than I expected. The front grill was made of some tough seeming material, not just a cloth grill.

It looked very much like this: [url="http://www.musicworks.co.nz/bass-combos/rb8-laney-richter-300w-1x15-bass-combo/"]http://www.musicwork...x15-bass-combo/[/url] But, the Laney logo on the front had something else written on it, e.g. "mad <something or other>". Does anyone know what model of amp it's likely that I've seen. It looked very much like the RB8, but I'm wondering if it's an earlier model. From looking around, it seems that there were some other models around before the series was named "RB", but I can't find a 1x15" model.

Any help/advice/opinions would be appreciated. I think I'm likely to wait longer to buy something, but while this amp is available at what seems a reasonable price, I do want to check it out.
[/quote]

Is it one of the "Hardcore Max" models? The rehearsal studio I used to use had one of these and I wasn't keen on it. It seemed to have no real lows or highs and needed heavy EQ just to get a sound I could live with. As affordable 1x15" combos go, a Peavey TNT or Ashdown Mag 1x15" would be better IMO.