Why become a member? ×

Recommended practice amps? (100W / 15" or thereabouts)

Skol303

I'm soon to be in the market for a new practice amp. I'm currently using a little 20W jobby and although I don't play loudly at home, I'd like something that has a bit more oomph in the bottom end - just to help the low freqs translate a bit better when playing at low volume.

I'd also like something that could handle small gigs / jamming with mates.

So all things considered I have in mind something like a 100W amp with, say, a 15" speaker. So far the [url="http://www.orangeamps.com/products/bass-guitar-amp-combos/crush-pix-series/crush-pix-cr100bxt/"]Orange Crush PiX CR100BXT[/url] [i](snappy name!)[/i] seems to fit the bill nicely - both in terms of spec and budget.

Are there any other products on the market that you'd recommend? It's been so long since I've bought a practice amp that I really don't know what's hip and happening.

Ta!

PS: I've already seen [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221668-can-anyone-recommend-good-combo/"]this thread[/url] with some great suggestions for combos, but they're all a bit beyond my budget (I'm looking to spend £300 or thereabouts).

PPS: I'll obviously be scouring the Amps & Cabs For Sale section on Basschat for a bargain when the time comes... :)

Edited by Skol303

I would highly recommend the EBS Classic Session 120 combo. I played through one in a shop a while ago and the sound was unbelievable, deep, articulate and very loud for its size. EBS Classic kit in my experience is very modestly rated, I have a 1x10 cab and used to own a Reidmar and both are incredible. I use the 1x10 to practice with a 10 piece soul band with a very powerful brass section, no it doesn't have thundering low-end but you can hear my 5 string no worries through the rest of the band.

There is one on eBay (not mine) for £150 at the moment. It also has handy practice features like line in, headphones and DI for gigging and it has tilt back which is handy. New they are about £50 more than your budget, but I would say worth it.

My practice amp is an Ashdown EB 180, one 12" speaker. I use it for rehearsals with my 5 piece band and for gigs where space is at a premium. I had to use it at last Saturday's gig as it fits beneath the keyboard of the pub piano, there was nowhere else for it! I picked it up used for under £100.

Obviously, it doesn't have the satisfying depth that my ABM 500/Barefaced Super Twin produces, but it still gets the job done when necessary.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1384187288' post='2273721']
My practice amp is an Ashdown EB 180, one 12" speaker. I use it for rehearsals with my 5 piece band and for gigs where space is at a premium. I had to use it at last Saturday's gig as it fits beneath the keyboard of the pub piano, there was nowhere else for it! I picked it up used for under £100.

Obviously, it doesn't have the satisfying depth that my ABM 500/Barefaced Super Twin produces, but it still gets the job done when necessary.
[/quote]

+1 for the Ashdown EB 180. I have the 15 inch version and love it for practice and jams.

Well...I use it for practice when I get told to turn the ABM 900 and 810 down ;)

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1384184139' post='2273664']I would highly recommend the EBS Classic Session 120 combo... There is one on eBay (not mine) for £150 at the moment.[/quote]

Not any more. It's now mine! :D

Cheers for the tip. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces once it arrives in a week or so.

Cheers! :)

I think it's going to tick all the boxes in terms of what I need. I haven't managed to find one in a shop to try it out, but I found this review from basschat's own 'Dood' very useful (although it's for the 60W version - but still close enough):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vyQa0VyWt4

I've used a Hartke Kickback for gigs, with and without DI and for a lot of rehearsals and it does the job and sounds pretty good. the shape control is a rather nice way of dialing up sounds quickly. Whatever you go for the kickback facility is always useful at this sort of power level so I'd not look at something that won't do this unless you want to carry a stand with you.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1384771787' post='2280395']
Cheers! :)

I think it's going to tick all the boxes in terms of what I need. I haven't managed to find one in a shop to try it out, but I found this review from basschat's own 'Dood' very useful (although it's for the 60W version - but still close enough):

[/quote]

So that`s Dood - saw his review of the EBS Billy Sheehan Pedal - was great.