Why become a member? ×

Power Supply: using 18v to power 9v pedals

PauBass

:)

I know this may sound silly but, just in case, I wanted to confirm with you guys.

To power my pedalboard I'm using a Dunlop DC Brick, which has seven 9v and three 18v outputs.
Well the thing is that I'm using all the 9v outputs and none of the 18v is being used. Since I'm going to need two more extra 9v outputs I was just wondering if it would be possible to use the 18v outputs to power some 9v pedals.

I know that if the pedals says it needs only 9v that's what you should power it with but I think I've heard before people powering some pedals, I think ditortion/overdrive/fuzz mainly, with 18v instead of 9v, am I right?

What's your advice?

[quote name='PauBass' post='225698' date='Jun 24 2008, 10:20 AM']:)

I know this may sound silly but, just in case, I wanted to confirm with you guys.

To power my pedalboard I'm using a Dunlop DC Brick, which has seven 9v and three 18v outputs.
Well the thing is that I'm using all the 9v outputs and none of the 18v is being used. Since I'm going to need two more extra 9v outputs I was just wondering if it would be possible to use the 18v outputs to power some 9v pedals.

I know that if the pedals says it needs only 9v that's what you should power it with but I think I've heard before people powering some pedals, I think ditortion/overdrive/fuzz mainly, with 18v instead of 9v, am I right?

What's your advice?[/quote]

With distortion devices, you probably want minimum voltage as opposed to maximum voltage, most typical circuits clip; i.e, distort more easily as the headroom is often lowered with lower operating voltage and quite often with more desirable audio consequences. Some more controlled designs of distortion devices have voltage regulators to fix the voltage at say 5 V to get a consistent distortion waveform - as opposed to the old school on the fly technique of using old batteries, which give out lower voltage. Back in the day, several musos used to keep a slew of used 9V batteries as the tone for example from a TS808 or TS9 was actually 'softer and rounder'. Even some big names like SRV also resorted to doing that. Tricky though to use a dying battery.

Raising the voltage is possible with several distortion devices but you are likely to end up with more headroom, and consequently less capacity for distortion.

Edited by synaesthesia

[quote name='Toasted' post='225706' date='Jun 24 2008, 10:27 AM']Some 9v pedals like 18v and some don't - for example alot of the fulltone range.

What pedals are you looking to power specifically, Pablo?[/quote]

Here is what I'm using at the moment:

- Korg DT-10 Tuner
- Sadowsky Bass Preamp/DI
- EBS Multicomp
- Boss LS-2 Line Selector
- Jimi Hendrix Classic Fuzz
- Polish Overdrive ...it's on the way.
- Boss GEB-7 Bass Eq
- Boss Chorus
- Boss OC-2

Can any of them be powered by an 18v output?

Unless the pedal builder explicitly says that you can power the pedal at 18V I strongly recommend you don't even try. You may want to check the instructions to verify the power supply range.

Providing I take no responsibility to any damage you may sustain... if you need to more 9V outputs you have a few other options:

1. Buy another brick :)
2. Split two 9V outputs to power 4 pedals with two Brick’s outputs.
3. Use a voltage divider to reduce the voltage from 18V to 9V. It is a very simple circuit that can be built inside a cable.

I hope this helps,

[quote name='PauBass' post='225739' date='Jun 24 2008, 11:02 AM']Here is what I'm using at the moment:

- Korg DT-10 Tuner
- Sadowsky Bass Preamp/DI
- EBS Multicomp
- Boss LS-2 Line Selector
- Jimi Hendrix Classic Fuzz
- Polish Overdrive ...it's on the way.
- Boss GEB-7 Bass Eq
- Boss Chorus
- Boss OC-2

Can any of them be powered by an 18v output?[/quote]

The following pedals [b]cannot[/b] be powered at 18V

- EBS Multicomp (I checked the instructions)
- Boss pedals
Boss recommend for some pedals (e.g. my GE7B) the use of the AC adapter ACA-240. ACA-240 supply 12V (the ACA-240[b]G[/b] 9V). New Boss pedals work with the PSA-[i]series[/i] power supply adapters (9V). Either way, the pedals will probably fry at 18V.
- Korg DT-10 Tuner
- Sadowsky Bass Preamp/DI. Sadowsky recommends the use of their PSU (9V, 200mA).
- Jimi Hendrix Classic Fuzz. Dunlop recommends the ECB03 AC (9V)

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='225778' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:01 PM']2. Split two 9V outputs to power 4 pedals with two Brick’s outputs.
3. Use a voltage divider to reduce the voltage from 18V to 9V. It is a very simple circuit that can be built inside a cable.[/quote]

You meant to split two 18v outputs to power 4 pedals, right? How can I do this?

Using a voltage divider to reduce from 18v to 9v? Again, how?

Thanks for your advice!

No, he meant to split to 9v outputs into 4 9v outputs, using 2 daisy chain-like devices. Alternatively, you could construct a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider"]voltage divider[/url] with a couple of resistors to convert 1 18V output to 1 9v output, which you could obviously use for more than one pedal using a daisy chain or whatever.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='225828' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:54 PM']No, he meant to split to 9v outputs into 4 9v outputs, using 2 daisy chain-like devices. Alternatively, you could construct a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider"]voltage divider[/url] with a couple of resistors to convert 1 18V output to 1 9v output, which you could obviously use for more than one pedal using a daisy chain or whatever.[/quote]

Thanks Cheddatom. Probably I wasn't very clear.

Regarding the voltage divider, I would also use a Zener just to keep the voltage a little bit more stable but a 2 resistors voltage divider would probably work fine.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='225828' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:54 PM']No, he meant to split to 9v outputs into 4 9v outputs, using 2 daisy chain-like devices. Alternatively, you could construct a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider"]voltage divider[/url] with a couple of resistors to convert 1 18V output to 1 9v output, which you could obviously use for more than one pedal using a daisy chain or whatever.[/quote]

The only daisy chain devices I've seen are the ones with 5 outputs, Bosss, any idea if I can find them just with 2 or 3 outputs?

The voltage divider has to be built? I suck when it comes to this things... Can you find them already made?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='225845' date='Jun 24 2008, 01:15 PM']am i being blonde, or is an easy solution for this just sticking a daisy chain into one of the 9v outputs??[/quote]

You can do it but I wouldn't do it for more than 2 pedals for every output. In any case I would't daisy chain pedals that require relatively high current.

The Brick has a resistor for every output. If the current is too high, the voltage drop on the resistor could be too high and you may end up less than 9V for every pedal. Apart from the risk of fry the resistor, of course.

Edited by Silent Fly

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='225840' date='Jun 24 2008, 01:12 PM']Thanks Cheddatom. Probably I wasn't very clear.

Regarding the voltage divider, I would also use a Zener just to keep the voltage a little bit more stable but a 2 resistors voltage divider would probably work fine.[/quote]

The voltage divider would need a bit of maths ( well arithmetic anyway ) to take into account the load and the power dissipation in the resistors.
The voltage will alter depending on the pedal as it will be dependant on the current drawn by the pedal.
The Zener seems a better solution - though still needing a bit of arithmetic the voltage would vary less with load.
Personally I'd opt to implement a 'proper' voltage regulator using something like an LM317 or LM7808 regulator.
Or try the simple daisy chain first - much more simple ( any unused connectors on the chain can just be left not connected )

[quote name='OldGit' post='225867' date='Jun 24 2008, 01:39 PM'][url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/5-way-daisy-chain-lead-4-p.asp"]5 plug daisy chain, £2.95 [/url]
[/quote]

Guys, I have just realized the Dunlop DC Brick ouputs are to connect via a mini-jack and not like the ones on the pic... What can I do?

i dont understand, there must be a cable going from the brick to the pedal ye? attached the end of that cable into the daisy chain instead of the pedal, and voila, you have 4 extra power points

[quote name='BassManKev' post='226246' date='Jun 24 2008, 09:43 PM']i dont understand, there must be a cable going from the brick to the pedal ye? attached the end of that cable into the daisy chain instead of the pedal, and voila, you have 4 extra power points[/quote]

Sh**t, I was thinking only in connecting directly to the brick and not to the cable itself.... I think I need to take things more calmly and think before talking :)

Anyway, cheers mate!

I know the LS2 has its own power out also, so that can power some others, as it doesn't use much. Check all the power consumption rating on pedals and daisy chain the low drain ones. I recall the octaver eats batteries, so that would be one to not put on the daisy chain. Tuner should be happy.