Why become a member? ×

1/4 Jack to XLR

Si600

We are looking to start recording our practice sessions and at the moment neither my guitarist or I have any XLR line-out on our practice amps.

Is it possible to take a 1/4 to XLR cable from the normal line-out socket on the combo to a mixer with XLR inputs?

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1383573337' post='2265976']
Thank you. What's a line level input? :blush:
[/quote]

In the same way as your amp has a line-level output, so a console has a line-level input. Often a jack socket, but can be an xlr with a switch, to commute between mic-level and line-level. If you connect from your amp to the console using mic-level, you'll probably overload the input.
Ideally, you should be using a DI box (DI: Direct Injection, or Input, or Interface...), which will adapt the line-level to mic-level. It will have a jack input, and an xlr output.
Hope this helps; keep asking the questions...

Are all DI's at mic level then? So in my practice setup where I have a little 25w Marlin combo with a line-out on the back and my tuner on my board has an XLR DI out the two outputs will be at different levels? Why should line level be different from mic level?

We don't have a mixer, our singer is talking about recording us using some sort of MIDI input with an output to a Mac. Until I actually see it I haven't much of an idea of what he's talking about, I'm just the bass player after all :P

I would like to start recording us and I'd like to learn more about the dark arts of doing so, I did the lighting desk for a year at Uni but never got to play with the audio side.

We're nowhere near being a real band yet, we don't even have a human drummer, just a Boss Dr Rhythm :)

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1383578797' post='2266095']
Are all DI's at mic level then? [/quote]
No - often they are switchable
Why should line level be different from mic level?
[/quote]Mic level is a much lower voltage than line level - it's something to do with the sensitivity of passive microphones and the voltage they can generate

We don't have a mixer, our singer is talking about recording us using some sort of MIDI input with an output to a Mac. Until I actually see it I haven't much of an idea of what he's talking about, I'm just the bass player after all :P
[/quote]

Ah. :)

In that case...

;)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1383583715' post='2266187']

In that case...

;)
[/quote]

Absolutely - recording audio with a midi interface is going to need a miracle of some sort....

I've often seen folk on the Sonar forum complain that they've recorded their midi but can't hear anything.....never heard of anyone trying to record audio through a midi interface though.

All I got this morning was an email asking whether my amp had an XLR line out on it. It doesn't, but it does have a 1/4 line out. Which is why I asked whether the 1/4 to XLR cable would work.

What will actually happen I have no idea, I'll find out next time we meet up. If anything sensible comes out of the other end I'll post it so you can laugh at my shonky playing :)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1383593815' post='2266400']
Do yourselves a favour buy a Zoom H2 for recording rehearsals

You dont need a desk you need to hear the sound you make in the room
[/quote]

I have a Zoom H1 for exactly that - stick it on mic stand in the middle of the room...it's amazing how many ideas would get lost if it wasn't for that

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1383583715' post='2266187']

In that case...

;)
[/quote]

I know what the magic bit is supposed to be now. One of these http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MTrackQUADNew.html I've no idea whether it's any good or not but...

He's also talking about these; http://www.equatoraudio.com/D5-Coaxial-Studio-Monitors-p/d5.htm which I'm assuming is because we have no means of attaching a mic to anything so he can hear himself sing!

It all looks rather funky, but I'm going to look for an H4n in the meantime!

I've not got an XLR out from my little amp, just a 1/4 jack. The GK has one, but I'm not using that this time. I've got one on my tuner though, which has a 0, -10 and -20 db switch, would that be safer to use?

Even just having a cursory Google throws up all sorts of weird things that look shiny but I have no idea whether any of it is any good or not. I'm very definitely in the shallow end of this very big pool :)

I'm going to suggest that if the singer wants the speakers to hear himself then that's fine but we'll get a recorder like the H4n instead of the M-Audio thing and carve the soundfile up on a PC afterwards.

[quote]
On the Four Front
M-Track Quad is equipped with four inputs that provide the best results with any type of audio source. Each offers an XLR input and a balanced 1/4" input. The XLR input is designed to work with microphones or other Lo-Z sources. The phantom power switch delivers 48V to the XLR inputs for use with professional condenser microphones.[size=5] [/size][b][size=5]The 1/4" input can be set to receive a line level signal,[/size] or switched to allow an electric guitar or bass to be plugged directly into the M-Track Quad.[/b] Individual gain knobs ensure the proper input level.[/quote]

1/4" to 1/4" will work fine

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1383662821' post='2267244']
1/4" to 1/4" will work fine
[/quote]

+1

You'll not go far wrong with that.

It's probably worth mentioning that little toggle switch with 48V written on it.
Make sure it's switched OFF and don't be tempted to play with it. :)

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1383664440' post='2267277']
If we plug the vox microphone into it won't that need the 48v?
[/quote]

Depends if it's a condenser microphone or not.

The problem you tend to get in low end equipment, this unit included, is that the 48v is applied to every single input.
Shove 48v into a socket that isn't expecting to see it and the likelihood is that you're going to damage things.

Ooo crikey DM. It does have two toggles, but as they're between the controls for the inputs and there's no obvious manual online I think there had better be more research.

What's a condenser microphone, or rather, is one better than a dynamic microphone? :blush:

I think I need to rename the thread ;)

Edited by Si600

[b]Microphone 101[/b]

Dynamic Microphone
Effectively a speaker in reverse, but tiny. Literally has a diaphragm that moves a coil in a magnet to generate electrical energy in time with the sound pressure change it senses. Robust design, often used on drums and guitar amps, sometimes on vocals (ie Blood Sugar Sex Magic lead vocal was recorded on a Shure SM7B, as was Thriller)

Condenser Microphone
Has a diaphram that is conductive and acts as one plate of a capacitor, typically this is very very thin indeed, and therefore light, and therefore picks up detail in the high end and transients more accurately than a dynamic microphone. Requires 48v phatom power to run. An electret mic is similar but has the charge built in effectively. There are two flavours of condensor Large Diaphragm and Small Diaphragm, Large is typically your big sexy studio vocal mic, small is your go to studio mic for things like drum overheads, acoustic guitars etc etc.

Ribbon Microphone
A ribbon mic uses a corrugated strip of aluminium foil several microns thick suspended between a pair of magnets. Its an old fashioned design, is prone to damage from wind, but has a lovely rounded tone compared to the other two, its ribbon is so heavy and slow to react compared to both the above that it effectively behaves as a mechanical limiter. Sounds fantastic on a guitar amp, or as a drum OH or room mic or for horns or percussion, anywhere where not have wodges of top end is a good thing.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this one as I've thought of another question...

I've been looking at small mixers, for no better reason than I can. I thought of getting a little one to record to a computer and play about with multiple inputs and generally learn how to use it. If the phantom power is global, as it appears to be on most desks, does that mean you are only able to use powered microphones? Most channels seem to have a normal 1/4 jack as well as the XLR so I'd guess amp line-out's can go in there rather than using the powered XLR on the desk?