Why become a member? ×

Strings Used and Why?

CMR Bass

Hi BassChat Friends,

I tend to jump around from string gauge to string gauge depending on the bass used, style of music and how I feel. At the moment I'm using D'Addario EXL230s which are 55-110 so quite a heavy string. I use them on a GMR SoundBoard 5 and string it E-C with a 35 as the C.

I also like the 40-95 set with a 24 in the C and also a 45-100 set with a 28 in the C. For me the heavy set enables a lower action with less string rattle along with a louder and more punchy tone.

It'd be interesting to hear which strings you all use on which bass and why.

Look forward to some replies,
Craig :rolleyes:

Edited by CMR Bass

Rotosound Swingbass Nickel Rounds (45 - 105). Used to use Rotosound Swingbass Steel Rounds (50 - 110) but Muzz on here sent me a set of the nickels and I far prefer them as they`re warmer sounding, and not quite so abrasive under the fingers. I also leave them on as long as possible, as really dislike the sound of new strings and these nickels seem to keep a nice worn in tone better than the steels which reach a point of no return.

I nearly always used Ernie Ball super slinkys and think they are a great string but I am currently experimenting with cheaper brands (£10 or less) at the minute I am using Picato 735 standard gauge strings and they seem good and are in budget and they also have some very favourable reviews on here and other websites but I have not had them on my bass long enough for me to know if I like them or not. I also have a bass strung with Daddario pro steels and I really like those they seem to stay bright for ages and have a nice tension.

Rotosound Swingbass Nickel Rounds 45 - 105 and a 135 if used on a 5 string.

They're a music shop 'standard' and are easy to get hold of without having to keep a stock of spares that I can't afford to do. :)

That repeatability is key to me as I don't want to spend time adjusting things after a string change.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1383464005' post='2264626']
- -
They're a music shop 'standard' and are easy to get hold of without having to keep a stock of spares that I can't afford to do. :)

That repeatability is key to me as I don't want to spend time adjusting things after a string change.
[/quote]
2 Excellent reasons & very valid B) If I change brand/guage/type of strings on any bass, to me it will need a full set up.

I don't like any roundwounds so for me the chances of ever buying a set of Flats in any shop near me are ZERO. All my strings I get online at the best price I can find at the time, which is only usually if I get a new bass ;) 'cos flats last 'forever' :P

GHS Precision Flatwound 55-105 on P-bass, particularly the 1.75" nut width - I think they are the best sounding, best feeling & balanced right for a big old P neck.

I also use Status Hotwire Flats 45-105 on P-bass with 1.625" nut, they're best VFM flats I've tried.

TI Jazz Flats 43-100 on Jazz bass, fretted & fretless, for me the best feeling strings in the world! Smooth & soft with a tone that's perfect for a Jazz, IMO.

I usually have 1 bass at least fitted with GHS Black Nylon Tapewounds 50-106, soft & velvet tones, also frets & fretless.