Why become a member? ×

Flying with 2 basses

Lenny B

I've a gig in Munich at the end of November, the one and only gig abroad this year (or for any year actually)

I usually play 2 basses with this band, my fretless P-bass Lyte and my Shine 8-string. Would welcome any ideas on how to best fly with these - neither is standard size for a hard case (not that I have any hard cases other than a standard Fender for my jazz), I don't really want to splash out £150+ for a new double case for a one-off gig - I could take just the Lyte and pad out the case, but any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks

There is a guy on ebay who sells heavy duty shipping boxes for basses they are 12.99 each that could be a cheap solution?

[url="http://dsa.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC0.A0.Xcardboard+guitar+box&_nkw=cardboard+guitar+box&_sacat=0&_from=R40"]http://dsa.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC0.A0.Xcardboard+guitar+box&_nkw=cardboard+guitar+box&_sacat=0&_from=R40[/url]

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1383379255' post='2263707']
I've a gig in Munich at the end of November, the one and only gig abroad this year (or for any year actually)

I usually play 2 basses with this band, my fretless P-bass Lyte and my Shine 8-string. Would welcome any ideas on how to best fly with these - neither is standard size for a hard case (not that I have any hard cases other than a standard Fender for my jazz), I don't really want to splash out £150+ for a new double case for a one-off gig - I could take just the Lyte and pad out the case, but any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks
[/quote]
This will take a bass inside its soft case .... http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?id=13&c=84&o=&s=75
I've had one for 12 years and it is not broken or damaged yet, hopefully due to its rounded edges not getting caught on airport luggage handling or in the hold.
I've also stuffed just enough clothes into it with a single bass!
I haven't tried this for ages....used to be told we couldn't carry on instruments but that instruments could be loaded onto a 'fragile luggage' trolley once cheked in that was in a special collection place in the airport, which was wheeled to the aircraft by staff and loaded into a secure hold .
I've never tried fitting two basses inside the SKB though angled headstock basses most likely would not work.
BA usually allow a bass in the cabin, using the least bulky looking case you have.

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1383379255' post='2263707']

I usually play 2 basses with this band, my fretless P-bass Lyte and my Shine 8-string. Would welcome any ideas on how to best fly with these

Thanks
[/quote]

Stand atop Beachy Head, flap both instruments hard, and pray.

I'll get me coat....