Why become a member? ×

How do Squier do it?

Thebassman75

[quote name='Thebassman75' timestamp='1383555676' post='2265680']
Are you talking about these guys?

[url="http://www.faridaguitars.co.uk/bass/"]http://www.faridaguitars.co.uk/bass/[/url]
[/quote]

Yes, they were available exclusively through Dawsons, which is where I bought my FJB-6.
They don't seem to stock the basses now, it might be worth asking if you're interested.

Here's a review by our own allthumbs:

[media]http://youtu.be/Aks3fSHA1jU[/media]

[quote name='Thebassman75' timestamp='1383484833' post='2264876']
I think it's true that you do pay a premium for US made instruments. I can't figure out why you would, except that if the product is much better, you should pay for quality regardless of where it's made. However, the issue here is that the Far East ARE catching up, and fast. [/quote]

Bear in mind that the American market---which is huge---seems to believe that US made basses are automatically "better" than Asian made basses. I've lost count of the number of borderline racist (and many times, just out-and-out racist) comments I've seen on the internet from our American cousins with regards to basses made in China, Japan, etc.

How do Squier do it?

It's easy they are making a bass originally designed to be made simply and cheaply using easily affordable machines available in the late 40s and by relatively (in terms of musical instrument making) unskilled workers.

Now take that and place it in a 21st century manufacturing environment in a country where all the associated costs are far cheaper than they were in mid 20th century US. There's no research. no real development, just churn out copies of a tried and tested popular design, and they've had 60 years to refine and hone the manufacturing process for maximum efficiency and minimum wastage.

The question we should really be asking is why MIA Fenders are so much more expensive?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1383655356' post='2267043']

The question we should really be asking is why MIA Fenders are so much more expensive?
[/quote]

That's the point I'm getting at... The new Squiers don't feel like an old Fender, but neither do new Fenders. I do think that Squier could help themselves by toning down the 'vintage' toner on the necks (which always looks way too orange for my tastes) but I do see that they're only playing to a current trend. The actual build quality..as pointed out as being a tried and tested method with no development and 60 years to refine the process really should, in terms of manufacturing, be far cheaper. The Far East are proving this and I don't think that any amount of marketing will convince me to buy a 'new' Fender. If anything, I'm now watching to see what Squier will come up with next..

[quote name='Thebassman75' timestamp='1383662111' post='2267226']
That's the point I'm getting at... The new Squiers don't feel like an old Fender, but neither do new Fenders. I do think that Squier could help themselves by toning down the 'vintage' toner on the necks (which always looks way too orange for my tastes) but I do see that they're only playing to a current trend. The actual build quality..as pointed out as being a tried and tested method with no development and 60 years to refine the process really should, in terms of manufacturing, be far cheaper. The Far East are proving this and I don't think that any amount of marketing will convince me to buy a 'new' Fender. If anything, I'm now watching to see what Squier will come up with next..
[/quote]

if youre unfortunate enough to be in chavham give me a shout and i can let you demo an affinity and a vm :)