Why become a member? ×

i dont use my middle finger

Bay Splayer

[quote name='uptonmark' post='224036' date='Jun 22 2008, 11:08 AM']i remember a thread a while back about players who do or dont use their little finger (i do)

i dont use my middle finger, anyone else the same?[/quote]

The middle finger on my right and left hands are vital. I do use all my fingers on my left hand and my index and middle on my right, but I find that for me my middle finger on my left hand is pretty key. I’d find it so hard to play without any of my fingers on my left hand, but almost impossible without my middle! How do you manage it?! It’s almost pretty impressive that you do manage it :)

EDIT: I think where I said – “. I’d find it so hard to play without any of my fingers on my left hand” – could sound a bit stupid, like I was saying that I’d find it hard to play with no fingers :wacko: What I really mean is that I’d find it really hard to play if I were to lose any finger from my left hand…I’m crap at explaining myself :huh:

Edited by benwhiteuk

I'm learning and my tutor has taught me the Simandl, (double bass) technique, which means you tend to use your index, pointer and pinky,so I tend not to use my ring finger as much as if I playing one finger per fret. So I don't think it's weird

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='224053' date='Jun 22 2008, 11:32 AM']So how do you say goodbye to your boss?[/quote]

haha excellent! i would love to do that! :)

I do use my middle finger, but I dont use the 3rd finger (the one next to the pinky lol)

[quote name='joe_bass' post='225484' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:04 PM']:)

You should be using all 4 fingers![/quote]
Thats no way to talk to a lady!!!

[quote name='uptonmark' post='224036' date='Jun 22 2008, 11:08 AM']i remember a thread a while back about players who do or dont use their little finger (i do)

i dont use my middle finger, anyone else the same?[/quote]
er...

...don't use your middle finger for playing bass or doing something else? :)

From a thread about Dusty Hill ( ZZ Tops bass player)

[quote]Something else that should be mentioned is that he has a finger on his right hand...his middle finger, I believe...which has the bone fused solid. He can't bend it much or at all. I imagine that influences how active his lines are at times.

Interestingly enough, he seems to have developed some "special techniques" with this finger which have made the ladies quite happy....he calls it "The Pleaser".[/quote]

:)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='224047' date='Jun 22 2008, 11:24 AM']The middle finger on my right and left hands are vital. I do use all my fingers on my left hand and my index and middle on my right, but I find that for me my middle finger on my left hand is pretty key. I’d find it so hard to play without any of my fingers on my left hand, but almost impossible without my middle! How do you manage it?! It’s almost pretty impressive that you do manage it :)[/quote]
Exactly the same here, i use all the fingers on my left hand and index and middle on my right, and occsionally my thumb and ring finger. I use my middle finger a LOT on my left hand so i don't know what i'd do without it! same for all the fingers i use really...

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='225496' date='Jun 23 2008, 11:10 PM']As I said... depends what I'm doing :huh:[/quote]
Oh aye? :huh:
haha

Edited by budget bassist