Why become a member? ×

I'm having a bad day.

Hector

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1382354482' post='2250961']
That picture actually made me feel a bit sick....
[/quote]

My precise reaction as well. It's amazing how attached you get to to an instrument, and when it gets damaged you really feel it. I can only wish you all the best Hector, and hope that it all gets sorted with the minimum of fuss and expense.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it really means a lot to me in these dark days. Especially, Jake's gobsmackingly kind offer of a loaner bass for the time being would you believe it!

Anyway, focusing on the practical, ignoring the financial: I've asked about, and the most insistent recommendations have been for Laurence Dixon down in Clapham area. I'm planning to make a visit, but have a question to ask. I don't have a car, so is it worth me trying to take it on the train from Oxford? Not sure how fragile the bass is now (string tension is now fully off as per ubassman's advice, so soundpost is no longer in place) and would hate to make mattters worse. I could wait 10 days and get a lift (possibly) sooner from a friend, but am not sure how important it would be to fix this sort of damage asap?

Hmmm, Laurence is very talented (he did some great work for me on the neck of a bass) but he is a one-man outfit and at least when I visited he seemed to have quite a lot on. Also his workshop is tucked away in a corner of Clapham which is would be pretty hard to get to without a car (and very pricey with a taxi from central London). Aren't the much more convenient bigger outfit the Martins a better option in your circumstances?

Just thought in the context of Hector's repair where the new rib needs to blend in with the rest of the bass , I though it might be of interest to post a link to the Oldwood1700 web site where theres a set of videos showing the traditional way of finishing - colour matching is a real skill !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBggyLF_cgA

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1382379762' post='2251517']
Hmmm, Laurence is very talented (he did some great work for me on the neck of a bass) but he is a one-man outfit and at least when I visited he seemed to have quite a lot on. Also his workshop is tucked away in a corner of Clapham which is would be pretty hard to get to without a car (and very pricey with a taxi from central London). Aren't the much more convenient bigger outfit the Martins a better option in your circumstances?
[/quote]

I've flitted about between different options but have actually ended up arranging to take her down to Malcolm Healey. I had heard that Malcolm wasn't doing any more work (I think crossed wire perhaps related to him closing up his shop), but he would've been my natural first choice: I bought my bass from him back in 2008, and Jane Healey was my first teacher, so I'm much more comfortable taking my bass to someone I have a personal connection with. I'm heading over next Friday, managed to organise a lift from a kind soul. For the meantime, she's in her case laying down on the floor with all the string tension off. Glad there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's going to be a long week's wait before Malcolm can see more than photos and give a proper diagnosis.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1385500187' post='2289090']
Is eveyone here more attached to their DB than their elec basses even if the elec basses cost more? I know I am and I am so glad to see Hectors bass repaired, much more than if it were a p bass or something. :)
[/quote]

Couldn't care less if my electrics vanished in a puff of smoke. Wife convinced that in a hostage situation - double bass or wife, that she'd not stand a chance. My protests are described as feeble in the extreme. :)