Why become a member? ×

B-string wolf tone woes

JapanAxe

I recently fitted a set of Status flats (40-125) to my G&L 5-string. From my enquiries I found I was at least the third owner to be using the Ernie Ball set (45-130 flats) that was on there, so it was probably about time!

People have commented on these forums that the Status flats are good value, and indeed they are cheap as chips, nice and smooth, and sound good, except...

I am getting horrible 'wolf tones' on the B string. This manifests itself as audible notes close to the note you are playing, which gets worse as you introduce drive, as they create dissonant harmonics too; sometimes a wavering in pitch; and if you set the intonation correctly at the 12th fret, fretted notes at the 5th and 7th frets sound flat, as though the frets have moved! I played the bass to a musician friend and he confirmed what I was hearing.

I have already backed off the pick-up and the B-string pole-pieces as far as they will go, so short of raising the action (and thus compromising playability), I am scratching my head as to what to do next. For the time being I will re-fit the old string or maybe a half-round from another spare set.

Has anyone else encountered this, with Status or other strings, and can anyone recommend other strings that are not so prone to this effect? I suppose I can start that list with Ernie Ball flats and D'Addario half-rounds, as neither of them gave this problem!

The change in gauge isn't major, but any reason you changed from 130 to 125? The change would mean that the neck etc would usually need adjusting unless like Rotosound strings the Status strings are high tension for their gauge in comparison to the EBs.

You might have a freak string or something, although these things are rare. Might be you need to go to what you know works in the end.

[quote name='Karnage' timestamp='1382726371' post='2256059']
The change in gauge isn't major, but any reason you changed from 130 to 125? The change would mean that the neck etc would usually need adjusting unless like Rotosound strings the Status strings are high tension for their gauge in comparison to the EBs.

You might have a freak string or something, although these things are rare. Might be you need to go to what you know works in the end.
[/quote]
[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1382726752' post='2256066']
Could you have a dodgy new string? its more common than people think.
[/quote]

I just found the 130 B to be a bit monstrous, this being my first 5-er. String tension feels about the same and I didn't detect any need to adjust anything other than the intonation. Could well be a duff string. Might try some Picato flats soon - still experimenting.

Could be that the new string accidentally (or without knowing of the possible side effects) was twisted 1/4 to 1/2 turn or more between the bridge and the nut.... this happens pretty easily when you're stringing up if you aren't careful or aware of what this can do:

- a twisted string can end up sounding like it's going through a chorus pedal (multiple tones at nearly identical frequencies will sound at once, specially so at certain fret ranges more than others).

And once you've done that one time, putting that full tension on the string in a twisted setup can actually make it return to that same multi-pitch tone even if you take the string off and then put it back on again. IE: the damage is done sometimes by this point.

I have made that error more than once, and in fact it can almost sound cool in some ways, but the inconsistency of sound combined with shortening of string life (not to mention inability to turn that chorus sound OFF again LoL) isn't really a due reward in the end.

It happens by accident sometimes, sometimes because it's a phenomenon you have never encountered before and didn't know to avoid twisting the string, and it also happens much more with certain brands of strings on certain basses than with other combos.

Worth watching for this when stringing up again just in case you did it by accident. Let the ball go where it likes, don't try to twist it into line to look good or whatever unless you MUST by the design of the bridge, in which case you have to be extremely careful when installing onto the tuner that you don't twist it at all (...this is NOT easy to avoid so I always try and let the ball go where it likes instead).

IMHO YMMV yadda yadda

Edited by donkelley

I've noticed a thing with flatwound B strings where the angle at the saddle is a little steeper than the string naturally bends to, leaving the break point indistinct and the tone a bit strange. It goes away once the strings are settled in, but this can take a while. If this is the problem, pushing the string down on to the saddle with your fingers to put a bend at the right place can help.

[quote name='donkelley' timestamp='1382997875' post='2259045']
Could be that the new string accidentally (or without knowing of the possible side effects) was twisted 1/4 to 1/2 turn or more between the bridge and the nut.... this happens pretty easily when you're stringing up if you aren't careful or aware of what this can do:

- a twisted string can end up sounding like it's going through a chorus pedal (multiple tones at nearly identical frequencies will sound at once, specially so at certain fret ranges more than others).

And once you've done that one time, putting that full tension on the string in a twisted setup can actually make it return to that same multi-pitch tone even if you take the string off and then put it back on again. IE: the damage is done sometimes by this point.

I have made that error more than once, and in fact it can almost sound cool in some ways, but the inconsistency of sound combined with shortening of string life (not to mention inability to turn that chorus sound OFF again LoL) isn't really a due reward in the end.

It happens by accident sometimes, sometimes because it's a phenomenon you have never encountered before and didn't know to avoid twisting the string, and it also happens much more with certain brands of strings on certain basses than with other combos.

Worth watching for this when stringing up again just in case you did it by accident. Let the ball go where it likes, don't try to twist it into line to look good or whatever unless you MUST by the design of the bridge, in which case you have to be extremely careful when installing onto the tuner that you don't twist it at all (...this is NOT easy to avoid so I always try and let the ball go where it likes instead).

IMHO YMMV yadda yadda
[/quote]
[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1383002616' post='2259119']
I've noticed a thing with flatwound B strings where the angle at the saddle is a little steeper than the string naturally bends to, leaving the break point indistinct and the tone a bit strange. It goes away once the strings are settled in, but this can take a while. If this is the problem, pushing the string down on to the saddle with your fingers to put a bend at the right place can help.
[/quote]

Thanks for that guys. I did read about the twisting problem elsewhere on BC, so have been taking care not to twist when installing. Didn't know about the bending-at-the saddle thing.

I have just taken delivery of a set of Chromes for the 5-er. I already have these on my 4-string fretted bass, and I like the high tension, so expect these will do the job. Just off to fit them now, so will report back.