Why become a member? ×

LD Systems MEI 1000 IEM

mr zed

I've been researching wireless IEM's recently and am struggling to find a poor review of the LD Systems MEI 1000 out there in internet land. The system looks to be high spec for the money (around £250) and I know that I would need to change the earbuds for dual or triple driver plugs for the frequency response (ideally custom moulded for the best fit) but I would have to do this anyway with a more expensive system (Shure PSM900, Sennheiser EW300 G3 etc). I'm tending towards investing in the Sennheiser unit but just thought i'd ask if anyone had any experience with the LD Systems offering? I've ordered some custom moulded earplugs from ACS (Pro 17's) for rehearsals (we don't use our own PA) and intend to use wireless iem for gigs (I sing backing vocals as well as play bass and would really appreciate being able to hear myself properly). We play around 2 gigs per month so not heavy useage. So the question is: has anyone had any experience with the MEI 1000 either good or bad that they can share? Cheers all.

I've got the MEI100 system, which has only a couple of features less than the 1000, and is £80 cheaper. I bought it originally for when I'm right at the back in the usual bass player position, and can't hear the stage monitors for the vocals. I'm now starting to do backing vocals, and use it to get my own vocal level up in my ears, without it overpowering the main vocals in the monitors or main PA.

The standard buds seem OK to me, as a rank amateur, they do block out most of the background noise, so I'm tending to only have one in, to stop the feeling of isolation.

It works well. Lots of channels to choose from. Can't say I've noticed any interference, and for the £160 I paid, it does what it says it should do.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave. Is the overall sound quality good or can it be a bit like listening to a transistor radio? I know that you get what you pay for so I'm expecting there to be a difference in sound quality - the issue is how much of a difference and will I be able to live with it? Problem is that you can't compare the systems before you buy - or maybe distance selling rules apply? Hmmmm...........there's a thought!

Ummmm. Interesting.

We've been discussing the merits of IEM for a while for our six-piece soul/funk/R&B wedding/functions band. However, I've yet to convince the others in the band of the merits of IEM in relation to the investment we'd need to make to do it properly. Having spoken to Russ (EBS_Freak) at length and followed the recent posting on IEM, it's a serious step both in terms of investment and mindset shift.

All that said, if you buy some, I'd be interested in hearing how they pan out.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1383038475' post='2259277']
Ummmm. Interesting.

We've been discussing the merits of IEM for a while for our six-piece soul/funk/R&B wedding/functions band. However, I've yet to convince the others in the band of the merits of IEM in relation to the investment we'd need to make to do it properly. Having spoken to Russ (EBS_Freak) at length and followed the recent posting on IEM, it's a serious step both in terms of investment and mindset shift.

All that said, if you buy some, I'd be interested in hearing how they pan out.
[/quote]

Hi Tony, yes I have also read the other recent posting on IEM's and I have found that to be dead useful. Russ certainly knows what he's talking about. I have not convinced the other members in the band to go in-ear, they are all happy to use our floor monitors. My problem is that i've got tinnitus in my left ear and a recent hearing test showed some hearing loss. I'm getting this looked at at the moment by my local ENT department to see if anything can be done to improve things but i'm not hopeful. I can live with what i've got but I don't want it to get any worse. The custom plugs i've ordered from ACS have arrived and they are brilliant but I think I want to go to IEM for gigs - plugs for rehearsals.

I've read some poor-mixed reviews of the budget stuff around right up to the Shure PSM200 but noone has yet had a bad word to say about the MEI 1000 (or the EW300 for that matter). An A/B test between the two (with the same earbuds) would give me some idea of any differences between a system costing £250 and one costing £800+. I don't mind investing in the Sennheiser if I can tell a noticable difference.

Having said all that, both Line6 and Stageclix are said to be developing digital IEM's. I may struggle on with just the plugs until these come out then make a judgement based upon cost/quality/performance etc. Digital has revolutionised wireless guitar systems and I get the feeling that the same may happen with IEM's making even expensive analogue systems look 'old hat' in the not too distant future!

I'll let you know where this journey takes me :)

Can't help with the LD systems I am afraid... but I would be keen to hear people's impression of them. If they are good, they should be cleaning up - the PSM200 seems to be the go to system, probably because of the Shure brand... but I'm far from convinced by it's performance. The Senn EW300 and Shure PSM900 still seem to be the systems to go for without going into crazy, crazy money but if the LD systems can get within a whif of them, that's got to be good.

As for the digital IEMs, I am still very skeptical - the latency is my main concern. In the worst situation, you are going to be getting some significant latency - if you went digital wireless, through a digital desk and then through digital monitoring. I'm convinved the delay would make it very confusing to sing due to hearing the real time in your head and a noticable delay in your ears. Your brains going to hate it. Of course, if you aren't using digital anywhere in your chain, it may be acceptable... but given the fact that everything is going digital, I wouldn't want to take that step until the latency figures are well, well, well lower than where they are currently at.

Have to say also, that I've been auditioning alot of CIEMs of late - and I'm not convinced that ACS are the best bang for buck either... but that's a completely different story!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1383062701' post='2259702']
Can't help with the LD systems I am afraid... but I would be keen to hear people's impression of them. If they are good, they should be cleaning up - the PSM200 seems to be the go to system, probably because of the Shure brand... but I'm far from convinced by it's performance. The Senn EW300 and Shure PSM900 still seem to be the systems to go for without going into crazy, crazy money but if the LD systems can get within a whif of them, that's got to be good.

As for the digital IEMs, I am still very skeptical - the latency is my main concern. In the worst situation, you are going to be getting some significant latency - if you went digital wireless, through a digital desk and then through digital monitoring. I'm convinved the delay would make it very confusing to sing due to hearing the real time in your head and a noticable delay in your ears. Your brains going to hate it. Of course, if you aren't using digital anywhere in your chain, it may be acceptable... but given the fact that everything is going digital, I wouldn't want to take that step until the latency figures are well, well, well lower than where they are currently at.

Have to say also, that I've been auditioning alot of CIEMs of late - and I'm not convinced that ACS are the best bang for buck either... but that's a completely different story!
[/quote]

Hi Russ, thanks for your valued imput to this.

The problem I have is that the LD Systems unit gets great reviews from owners/users but, no disrespect to them, do they only think they are great because they haven't experienced better? I think you mentioned in the other IEM thread that PSM200 users think that their systems are brilliant until they hear the PSM900. They then re-evaluate what their perception of brilliant is.

Without being able to 'try before you buy', user reviews are all we have to go off and I have so far found nobody that has A/B'd the LD Systems MEI 1000 & the Sennheiser EW300. I'm happy to spend the money on the Sennheiser if I know that there is a noticable difference in quality, but the ideal would be to spend 1/4 of the cost of the EW300 on a system that I would be happy with. If it sounds crap then I wouldn't use it as the pleasure of playing and making a nice sound is all a part of the experience for me.

Regarding digital IEM's, yep I think the latency issues are the stumbling block to the development of digital IEM's and is what is stopping Line 6 and Stageclix from releasing their product offerings to the market. There is a strong demand out there and whoever overcomes this issue first will benefit from first mover advantage. I won't be convinced though until they are proven.

I would be really interested to tap into your views of the CIEM's you have been testing recently. Will you be sharing your thoughts/reviews with us?

Sent you a PM mr zed!

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1383131599' post='2260501']
Regarding digital IEM's, yep I think the latency issues are the stumbling block to the development of digital IEM's and is what is stopping Line 6 and Stageclix from releasing their product offerings to the market. There is a strong demand out there and whoever overcomes this issue first will benefit from first mover advantage. I won't be convinced though until they are proven.
[/quote]

I think this is going to be a bit of a stumbling block for the end of chain IEM device - even if they did make the latency even smaller, there is still the stuff upchain. I can't see people selling off their existing Line6, Stageclix, Sony, whatever digital devices... expensive desks being replaced... not any time soon I would wager!

I think Line6 and Stageclix announced their developments more than a little prematurely. From a logical point of view, it's just about reversing the flow... but it doesn't work quite as easy as that when the output is directly piped into your ear and the source and destination are effectively in the same place, especially when you're a singer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a digital IEM solution that works... just can't see it happening for a while yet, especially at the cheaper end of the market!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1383214385' post='2261551']
Also use LD ME100s, but with a set of ACS T3 custom phones. Only single driver but pretty good . I'd upgrade them to T1 Lives if I had the dosh, though.
[/quote]

Aha! A maybe volunteer!

If you plug a CD player/iPod etc into the ME100s and listen to the output, how good does it sound compared to plugging straight into the source?

I've been thinking about this, when I've got some time, I'll get a track and record it straight from the desk into my portable recorder and the same but from the desk via my PSM900 (I'll also do it for the PSM200 if I can lay my hands on them) to compare.

Gents.

Just been looking at the LD Systems MEI1000 series vs the MEI100 series.

Seems the more expensive 1000 series has better frequency response (60Hz opposed to the 100's 80Hz) and adjustable erm other stuff.

Worth the extra dollar?

Re the buds, in the short term, if the stock ones are REAL tosh, I'd probably use Shure E2cs until I get some better. Good idea?

T

@Russ,

I had some custom moulds done a few years ago through SpecSavers and they're fitted with ER15s. When I wash them, I just pop the plug bit out. Are these "standard" sizes ie, would I be able to pop the plugs out and then pop the Shure E2cs into the custom plugs to give a total sealed fit?

Guess I'm thinking aloud and haven't tried it as the plugs are at home but just wondered.

T

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1383573745' post='2265983']
@Russ,

I had some custom moulds done a few years ago through SpecSavers and they're fitted with ER15s. When I wash them, I just pop the plug bit out. Are these "standard" sizes ie, would I be able to pop the plugs out and then pop the Shure E2cs into the custom plugs to give a total sealed fit?

Guess I'm thinking aloud and haven't tried it as the plugs are at home but just wondered.

T
[/quote]

Yes - take the filters out, standard fit. Take the buds off your Shures and carefully work them onto your moulds. May be a bit tight but a bit of grease will normally get them onto your earbuds without too much trouble. Good way at getting a good sealing IEM at a cheaper price - especially if you already have the IEM. Cheaper than a reshell anyway, which is your next cheapest option. You should notice an improvement on the bass response straight away because your custom plug should fit better than a universal.

Tony - I have a wired in ear monitor amp if you want to give that a go before commiting to wireless?

Edited by EBS_freak

Thanks for the advice Russ, I'll give them a go tonight when I get home and see how they fit.

Re the monitor amp, thanks for the kind offer. Brian was using a wired solution at the last gig which works for him really well as he's static being a keyboard player but I know I'd probably find that a bit limiting as I'm already wireless with my bass rig and like to move about and "get stuck in". Considering the investment involved, if the LD Systems IEM doesn't work out for me, I should be able to move it on fairly quickly or find someone to make use of it within the band. With your wonderful yoda-like guidance, I already know that the real investment is in the buds but buying the system will be a start down the route to tweak our IEM solution to suit us.

Brian's costed out a complete PA upgrade through the shop but following the gig on Saturday where we'd spent a little more time than usual tailoring the setup, the sound was great so we're reassessing what we need to spend where. With the IEM's, I think a new digital desk (likely candidate is an Allen & Heath Qu16) is the top of the list but we can phase the subs/tops into phase 2 now we know they sound good.

Sorry Mr_Zed, hijacked the thread a bit.

T

Edited by tonyf

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1383578691' post='2266091']
Thanks for the advice Russ, I'll give them a go tonight when I get home and see how they fit.

Re the monitor amp, thanks for the kind offer. Brian was using a wired solution at the last gig which works for him really well as he's static being a keyboard player but I know I'd probably find that a bit limiting as I'm already wireless with my bass rig and like to move about and "get stuck in". Considering the investment involved, if the LD Systems IEM doesn't work out for me, I should be able to move it on fairly quickly or find someone to make use of it within the band. With your wonderful yoda-like guidance, I already know that the real investment is in the buds but buying the system will be a start down the route to tweak our IEM solution to suit us.

Brian's costed out a complete PA upgrade through the shop but following the gig on Saturday where we'd spent a little more time than usual tailoring the setup, the sound was great so we're reassessing what we need to spend where. With the IEM's, I think a new digital desk (likely candidate is an Allen & Heath Qu16) is the top of the list but we can phase the subs/tops into phase 2 now we know they sound good.

T
[/quote]

Seems fair enough.

The QU16 is a beautiful desk. As you probably know, I'm a huge fan of the Allen and Heath digital desks... they just work beautifully. Wouldn't be without mine! What's your current setup looking like?

Edited by EBS_freak

We've got KX Audio subs and tops. Think the models are the KX1.5s for the subs and then KX12 tops (although they could be the KX15s but I'm not sure unless I had them in front of me). Monitoring is via functional Wharfdale wedges. We've got a A&H PA20 (again I think ;-).

I'm a bit vague ain't I? lol

Ha ha! Vague?! Noooooo.

I thought bass players were meant to be the tech heads of the band?

Those KX Audios should see you OK. Before changing your speakers, look at the desk to give you the monitor sends that you need (especially if you want your monitoring in stereo - I know that sounds really odd... but when you have a stereo mix in your ears with singers around your head... and stereo keyboards in your ears with mono keys out front, it's really a beautiful thing!) You'll notice you'll get much more out of your existing system when you've got compressors and eq per channel to play with... and of course a 31 band eq on each output etc...

Ive not seen the QU16 straight out of the box... but the GLD80 was a bit of a mind blow compared to the analogue desks... but now that I have got it, there's no way I would go back to an analogue desk. So much power!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1383578691' post='2266091']

[/quote]

Hi Tony - no need to apologise - I'm learning all the time which is the whole point I think. Any questions asked/answered here can only benefit us all.

BTW, I'm still researching all available 'quality' options and am currently weighing up some quad driver 1964 buds with whatever system I go for - and this may even be the wired option. Seriously interested in the Rolls PM 351 and the functionality this seems to have. The search continues.

The 1964s are beautiful IEMs. Relative newcomers but seriously great spec at significant cheaper prices than the competition. They were certainly in the shortlist leading up to my last purchase. Both the quads and V6s get great reviews although I have no experience of the latter.

The Unique Melody hybrid also made me raise an eyebrow. Didn't try one - but the dynamic bass driver seemed quite an interesting concept.

Alas, expensive game... but once you're there, you'll never let go of them!

You're right there mate. Once you experience the product that's "absolutely right" rather than "it'll do", there's no more justification needed.

[url="http://www.uniquemelody.co/lineup/merlin/"]http://www.uniquemelody.co/lineup/merlin/[/url]

Russ, you've REALLY gotta stop this now, it's starting to get really expensive.

:D