Why become a member? ×

Cleaning stains off Warwick body

wally8

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered. i did my best to search but couldnt find any info.

On my Warwick FNA Jazzman (natural ash finish with the cool tiger esq striping) i have a few lines on the body where my sweat has run. Ive tried rubbing with the official wax as that is claimed to be a cleaner as well but ive had no luck, its still there.

I think my sweat is a bit acidic when gigging as ive already rusted my MM pickup poles.

Any ideas?

Cheers, ben

There is an effective process of striping the hardware and electrics, using scotchbrite pads for dirt and swear etc and then a light all over sanding and Wax. I did it to an old streamer of mine ages ago and it worked a treat, the bass looked a million dollars afterwards. Have a search through the repairs section, its there somewhere.

Sorry i can't be more specific.

Good luck

[quote name='wally8' timestamp='1381844273' post='2244435']
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered. i did my best to search but couldnt find any info.

On my Warwick FNA Jazzman (natural ash finish with the cool tiger esq striping) i have a few lines on the body where my sweat has run. Ive tried rubbing with the official wax as that is claimed to be a cleaner as well but ive had no luck, its still there.

I think my sweat is a bit acidic when gigging as ive already rusted my MM pickup poles.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Ben
[/quote]
Cough... ahem. Back onto the topic.
The best way I've come across to get contamination out of the wood grain is to wash it with [u]clean, new[/u] white spirit. You can apply the white spirit with a cloth, then sand it, or you can use fine wire wool. In any case you'll probably want to go gently with the white spirit and sand after using a seriously fine grain paper. The finest you can find.

The bad news is the white spirit will remove the oil as well. So when you've finished you'll need to re-oil the bass. For this you can use any Danish oil, or a Boiled-Linseed oil. To keep the sexy light colour, try to get a nice light colour oil.

After re-oiling let the oil soak into the wood and wax it to a great finish.

Long term, keep oiling the body every so often as the wood will dry out and become open to soaking up your bodily fluids... err... if you take my meaning.
Ooorrrr you can strip down the body, wash off all the oil using white spirit, sand it and lacquer the body. That will then seal it against your sweat.

Good luck.

Super job guys. I will have a go with the white spirit.

I do have to admit, at this gig depping for my mates band i was giving it some newstead headbanging with the metal stance, and a saucy bird from the crowd did give me a bit of the up and down on my thigh with her crotch so you never know what kind of fluid may of soiled my warwick. All in the name of rock and roll