Why become a member? ×

eBay Alarm Bells? Some comforting advice needed peeps...

RandomBass

I can't decide if this belongs here or in Off Topic, but it is music related, so here will do...

I won something bass related via eBay on 3rd October. I paid pretty much immediately with paypal, just as I would do anywhere.

Now, I heard nothing from the seller until 7th October, apologising for the delay getting touch as there had been a bereavemnt in the family. The seller promised to post the item the following day.

It's now the 12th October, and I've not seen anything of the item, and no further contact from the seller, even though I've messaged him twice asking for an update.

Now, I'm a sympathetic type, so a family bereavement is something I respect and understand would cause any ebay selling to be put on the back burner. However, no further contact explaining anything is beginning to bother me slightly.

Am I being too paranoid about the possibility having been 'done'? I'm not a heavy user of eBay - I lurk there more often than sell or buy, and I've never had problems with previous purchases (or sales) there before.

When would your alarm bells start ringing?

Ta

Geoff

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1381586329' post='2241013']
You might be getting worried unnecessarily but tbe seller should be able to reassure you.

Mail him and ask for the latest news. Maybe you can get a BCer to go and collect it.
[/quote]

I hope that's the case. I've messaged the guy twice this week, once this morning. I think it's the lack of communication which bothers me most - I'm just not used to it. I have no idea whether the item was actually posted on Tuesday as promised and is still in the post, or is lost in the post, or whether its actually been posted at all yet.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1381597607' post='2241258']
No comms = open up a case. Takes a while for a case to process, so there's time to sort it.
[/quote] +1
Log into your account and go to "the dispute centre" as ebay call it. Raise a dispute and in about a week evay will tell you tje transaction is void and then refund your money if you paid by PayPal.

Still no sign of my goods, or any contact from the seller. I've sent him one last message this morning, advising that if I don't hear form him today I will be raising it with ebay. It's been 11 days since I won the auction.

I hate having to do this, but I don't think I have any choice. I've been more than patient and understanding. Its the lack of comms that I'm not used to, and which bothers me.

Anyway, have a good day.

Your respect for the possibility of the bereavement is highly admirable,
but you have also to be careful just when you open a case
I wouldn't wait too long for this,
as there is also a time limit on when you can open a case,
and a time limit on how long the case can be open for - depending on when you bought the item

I've used ebay a lot, over several years
and honestly, I find it's absolutely fine 99% of the time

I did have a bad experience with a guy who told me exactly the same story
There had been a bereavement in his family
The trouble was, because I'd ordered something that was hand-made
it had a 28 day delivery anyway!
So by the time I'd been fobbed off a few times - the time limit for opening a case had elapsed!

I contacted ebay and told them about the 28 day delivery, and this allowing no time to open a case
but I just got a load of generic replies, informing me I should have opened a case sooner!

If you don't use ebay much, something like this could put you off
But I have to say, apart from this 1 minor incident, and a few niggles - I've found it to be good

Be careful of leaving it too long before you take action though!

Hope it's resolved without any hassle for you

Marc

Cheers for that Marc, your advice is much appreciated. This is the only time I've had a problem using ebay - and I'm still hoping it can somehow be resolved without having to escalate it.

Anyway, if I don't hear back from the seller by mid afternoon, I'm opening a case. I've checked timings and it's not too late.

Cheers

Geoff

I've had a couple of scares with eBay but provided you've played by the eBay rules you should be okay. I had paid £400 for a guitar which didn't turn up and received a refund via eBay as I had paid by PayPal. My only gripe was that if they had acted straight away when I asked them to they may have caught the b***er who had stitched me up.

Well, just as I was about to open a case with ebay, I get an email notification that the seller has refunded the full amount to my Paypal, with an apologetic note accompanying it.

At least I got my money back without having to go through official channels. However, I'd rather have had the goods lol. Im happy though.

My cynical side says he was disappointed with how much I won it for, and got a better sale elsewhere, and couldn't work out how to get out of the sale with me. Jus' sayin'........

Cheers guys

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1381762104' post='2243285']
Well, just as I was about to open a case with ebay, I get an email notification that the seller has refunded the full amount to my Paypal, with an apologetic note accompanying it.

At least I got my money back without having to go through official channels. However, I'd rather have had the goods lol. Im happy though.

My cynical side says he was disappointed with how much I won it for, and got a better sale elsewhere, and couldn't work out how to get out of the sale with me. Jus' sayin'........

Cheers guys

Geoff
[/quote]

Could be that, as you say
But who knows?

Anyhow, yes you'd rather have the goods
but at least you got your money back - so you can buy it from somewhere else :)

Whew! sigh of relief :)

Cheers
Marc

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1381762104' post='2243285'] My cynical side says he was disappointed with how much I won it for, and got a better sale elsewhere, and couldn't work out how to get out of the sale with me. Jus' sayin'........ Cheers guys Geoff [/quote]

If that was the case he should be banned from eBay immediately, it's an auction site and the rules are clear to sellers.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1381998919' post='2246428']
If that was the case he should be banned from eBay immediately, it's an auction site and the rules are clear to sellers.
[/quote]

Yes, this should definitely be reported - even though you're relieved just to be refunded! :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1381997819' post='2246420']

Could be that, as you say
But who knows?

Anyhow, yes you'd rather have the goods
but at least you got your money back - so you can buy it from somewhere else :)

Whew! sigh of relief :)

Cheers
Marc
[/quote]
I think that 'somewhere else' will have to be BC

:-)