Why become a member? ×

TC Electonic BH 500 and two cabs....?

sykilz

So, I got a BH 500 head, and on their web site it clearly shows that you can run their 4x10 and 2x12 off the single speaker output. Here's the thing, the amp is minimum 4 ohm load, but the cabs are rated at 4 ohm for the 4x10 and 8 ohm for the 2 x12 , which should make it not do- able in my limited knowledge? The cabls is daisy chained out of the bigger cab. Like I say, its clearly shown amongst the options on their web page, and in fact i know someone who runs two of the 4x10 s off this amp. How ? Thanks to Alan off here for the sale by the way!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381575925' post='2240793']
I believe the BH500 is 2ohm stable, BUT ONLY if you use TC cabs.
[/quote]

Discreet much truth, speaketh he. All seems a bit odd though, an Ohm is an Ohm is an Ohm, no matter where it's grown. (Oooh, poetry).

However don't forget that the stated cab impedance is purely nominal, and perhaps TC's home-grown cabs have a tighter range which never dips scary low throughout the frequency range. They can't guarantee the same with another make of cab.

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

Muchas thanks guys, the chap I got them from off here reckoned much the same, I thought these things were kind of set in stone, you shall go no lower than 4 ohms or fry your amp, but as it`s all their own stuff, must be o.k ! Thanks for your quick replies, will have to go blast my garage apart to check now!

Yoooouuuurrr'eee welcome. According to the manual:

[url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/216299/tc_electronic_bh500_manual_english.pdf"]http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/216299/tc_electronic_bh500_manual_english.pdf[/url]

[b]TC Electronic Bass cabinets[/b]

• BH500 can run any combination of up to three TC Electronic
8 Ohm cabinets.

• Where a TC Electronic 4 Ohm cabinet is used, the following
configurations can be used:

1 x 4 Ohm
2 x 4 Ohm
1 x 4 Ohm + 1 x 8 Ohm
1 x 4 Ohm + 2 x 8 Ohm

Other Brand cabinets
1 x 4 Ohm
1 x 8 Ohm
2 x 8 Ohm

HTH :)

[quote name='BanjoChris' timestamp='1382106906' post='2248101']
Here's my 2x10 & 2x12 stack in action, being taller than the guitarist's 4x12. Master set on 5 and ear plugs most certainly required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_7rp1jXlrI
[/quote]

In fact the rig looks to be taller than the actual guitarist too, so if you put stuff on top he can never get to it! Unexpected bonus! Our guitarists are all quite short in both bands, will hide beer here!

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Crikey, did a full on loud as hell rehearsal last night, used to put an Ampeg pf 500 through a warwick 410 cab and was pushing really hard, gain on full before clipping, volume on 7, last night took the BH 500 and the 4 x10 TC cab.........goodness me , gain where it should be, master volume on..... 2. Just. In fact just under 2. Now i know these things aren't comparable as you don't know where the amp will run out of puff, but the rig was awesome, had the bass up a notch on my Corvette and a little on the amp, and had to back off because the low end was getting a bit much. Dead impressed. Gig tonight in a pub with other band,was going to take the 212 cab too, not so sure its needed now!

Sounds like a result - and if the tone is as good too, then you are onto a winner. I'm in a similar position with my Trace heads - seemingly very very loud with acres of headroom, and that's into a single 15, or single or dual 2x10s. And I luurve the TE tone.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Geoff

The tone is good, the deepest bass I've had from a rig but tight too, with the sort of air movement that makes you grin when standing near your speakers! I think its probably versatile, but to be fair I'm doing pub rock gigs, so loud,tight and powerful is just what the doctor ordered! Pleased 4 stringer here!