Why become a member? ×

Neck 'hump'. Whassat, you've got a hump. In your neck?!?

paul_5

Just like the title suggests. The ageing neck on my bitsa P has developed a rather worrying 'hump' just before the headstock (behind the 2nd/3rd fret). I'm guessing it's probably down to the truss rod being wound up tighter than an NHS worker's pay packet (but that's another, very disappointing story) but without this much tension on the neck it's like a bow and arrow.

It seems the wood at the bump has developed a rather worrying crack too - too deep to be just the laquer. :(

Is it time for a new neck? I've kept this one going for a couple of decades, but I'm just too broke to buy anything right now. Any suggestions on how to get another couple of months out of it?

I'd be tempted to take it off and take the tension out of the truss rod ans see what it does. Let it sit about for a while, and see where it goes. LAter clamp it in about the right relief before tightening the truss to that point, rather than using the rod to force it into the right place.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1381002776' post='2233347']
Just like the title suggests. The ageing neck on my bitsa P has developed a rather worrying 'hump' just before the headstock (behind the 2nd/3rd fret). I'm guessing it's probably down to the truss rod being wound up tighter than an NHS worker's pay packet (but that's another, very disappointing story) but without this much tension on the neck it's like a bow and arrow.

It seems the wood at the bump has developed a rather worrying crack too - too deep to be just the laquer. :(

Is it time for a new neck? I've kept this one going for a couple of decades, but I'm just too broke to buy anything right now. Any suggestions on how to get another couple of months out of it?
[/quote]

There's a cheap neck going here on basschat [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/217474-squier-affinity-bass-neck-with-or-without-tuners/page__p__2216968__hl__neck__fromsearch__1#entry2216968"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2216968[/url]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1381002776' post='2233347']
Any suggestions on how to get another couple of months out of it?
[/quote]

Ok, if it's buzzing due to it then this is a very sketchy stab in the dark..... I'm a vintage bass fan, bought and sold loads over the years. I've seriously lost count of how many developed 'duck tails' at the other end of the board. That's when the fingerboard raises as the neck joins the body. The way to sort out the fret buzzes is to give it a fret stone on the high note frets, going heavier at the bottom and lighter as you get to the required point. So, depending on how bad it is you could perhaps do the reverse (on the first few frets) to get some extra time out of the bass? Oh, and wood glue for the crack!

I did say it was sketchy...but if you only want a few months who knows?

Edit: I wouldn't trust me though, send it to The Bass Doc if fixable?

Edited by Chiliwailer