Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Timeliness at gigs - aaaaaaarrrrggggh

Clarky

I think regarding bands that p*ss-off early - it's not always that simple. We used to do loads of gigs quite a way away from our home. If a headline band was rally good, or really nice then we might stay and watch, but more often than not we would leave early so that we could actually get up for work the next day.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='223116' date='Jun 20 2008, 05:42 PM']I'm too shocked that my opinion of your band would have such significance to say anything at this point in time! :)[/quote]

I know it's old, and a bit negative so probably doesn't need bringing up again, but what did you mean?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='270374' date='Aug 26 2008, 04:01 PM']I think regarding bands that p*ss-off early - it's not always that simple. We used to do loads of gigs quite a way away from our home. If a headline band was rally good, or really nice then we might stay and watch, but more often than not we would leave early so that we could actually get up for work the next day.[/quote]

I agree with this.

I don't expect bands to stick around for me - considering some of the 'eclectic' bills I've played on, I wouldn't for a second assume that any of the other bands are into my music - so I often don't stick around for other bands, unless they look like my cup of tea and I'm not faced with an epic journey home. I appreciate that it's courtesy, but I'd much rather have a true gauge of who's into our music. I don't think other bands, politely staying behind, despite their ambivalence to the music, gives an indication of this and while I appreciate the support, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if they don't stick around.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='270464' date='Aug 26 2008, 06:11 PM']I agree with this.

I don't expect bands to stick around for me - considering some of the 'eclectic' bills I've played on, I wouldn't for a second assume that any of the other bands are into my music - so I often don't stick around for other bands, unless they look like my cup of tea and I'm not faced with an epic journey home. I appreciate that it's courtesy, but I'd much rather have a true gauge of who's into our music. I don't think other bands, politely staying behind, despite their ambivalence to the music, gives an indication of this and while I appreciate the support, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if they don't stick around.[/quote]

Slightly off topic but the 'eclectic' bill thing really annoys me, promoters don't seam to wanna put a night on for 1 style anymore it would make more sense for lots of reasons.

I hate it when bands are late for setting up and sound checking, just p1sses me off so much. My band always turns up at the same time, often in the same van, with all of our equipment prepared earlier that day to prevent problems, at least a half hour early. In fact, we regularly play the Barrow BBQ, and even though we were not on until around 8, we were there at 2 in the afternoon, set up and ready to go, sound checked through the PA of the DJ who was there as usual as well. We always make sure to be friendly to other bands on the bill, but if they are late, and won't give a decent reason for it, I will give them sh1t for it.
Zach

[quote name='ARGH' post='272221' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:10 AM']GOD...You guys should just be grateful you play an original gig. moan moan moan.

Ive rarely encountered this sort of sh*t at a covers event...and thats often 5-10 bands on a bill a day.[/quote]
yes, but we are genuine artists :)

(ducks to avoid large brick lobbed his way)

[quote name='Clarky' post='272224' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:18 AM']yes, but we are genuine artists :)

(ducks to avoid large brick lobbed his way)[/quote]
then you deserve everything you get,and all the bad karma it entails.

Seriously,workers could teach a thing or 2 to some bands.

[quote name='ARGH' post='272221' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:10 AM']GOD...You guys should just be grateful you play an original gig. moan moan moan.

Ive rarely encountered this sort of sh*t at a covers event...and thats often 5-10 bands on a bill a day.[/quote]

Yeah but we can barely find a note let alone the venue on time.

We had the worst sound guy the other day. It was some kid that was new to the venue that had no idea what he was doing, didn't know the room or the gear at all and they didn't bother leaving anyone that did know what they were doing to help him out. So we had feedback all night, for certain bands the sound was terrible, all we could hear was drums and vocals and maybe one guitar, no bass or lead guitar, or way too much lead guitar and no rhythm etc and he kept coming over and playing with our amps on stage. DON'T play with the amps on stage, play with the levels at the desk! Jesus, he was an idiot. And to top it all off he was just an absolute arse, wouldn't allow anybody to try and give him a bit of help or a suggestion eg "turn the lead guitar up, we can't even hear it", and then he would give certain bands longer to play that he was mates with, and demand that others get off the stage after however many songs, just because he didn't like them. Why the f*** he thought he could do that i don't know because it was up to the promoter, not him. Not to mention he kept going to the bar and f***ing off in the middle of sets when he blatantly needed to do something about the sound. ARGH.

Some of the bands there were equally as bad though. This one band was complaining about the lack of people, when we'd given them tickets to sell and get people down, and guess how many tickets they sold? None, because they couldn't be arsed. They then f***ed off right after their set without even a word, so needless to say they didn't get paid (they do it every gig, the bands that stick around get paid, they don't. Their loss). There was another really arrogant drummer from one of the other bands too that was like insulting other people's gear and stuff even though his was pretty crap too and just wouldn't listen to anybody and thought he was running the whole thing, i didn't like him much either. Most of the other bands there were pretty cool though, i got on with a lot of them and just sat down and had a chat with them, i like when you can do that.