Why become a member? ×

Teeny Two channel passive mixer idea

Dave Vader

Right, I need to blend my effects and clean signal as I am using fairly tinny synth sounds, and the bottom end drops out a lot, I am already running through a bypass looper (not because of any tone sucking thoughts, but just to save tap dancing while selecting multiple effects on and off)

I figured if I make a little box with 2 pots, 2 resistors and 3 jack sockets, I should be able to go from the direct out of my first synth pedal into one side, and the end of the effects chain into the other and happily set the levels for the effected sound with the pots.

Will this work, or will there be a massive volume drop between the bypassed signal and the effects loop coming in?

Mmm, might need a buffer in there to avoid 'loading' the output. Something like this would do it...

[URL=http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/paul_510/media/2chan-mixer_zpsad69650f.png.html][IMG]http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/paul_510/2chan-mixer_zpsad69650f.png[/IMG][/URL]

Might be a little bit more complicated than your initial idea though.

That certainly is a little more complicated. But possible a good idea. I shall try the first stupidly easy one, and then build a buffer when it doesn't work (need to make something like this to go between my wah and my fuzz-face on the guitar board anyway, so should really get on with getting the hang of it)
Thanks Paul.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1380133718' post='2221375']
If you're new to all of this shizzle then the easiest thing in the world is to pop into Maplins.

Don't do this.

It's WAY cheaper (by at least 50%) to get your components etc... from this chap.

[url="http://doctortweek.co.uk"]http://doctortweek.co.uk[/url]
[/quote]

+100000 etc ;)

Si

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1380276752' post='2223083']
A bit of a faf for me, there are built units that can do this.

Why go for passive? My experience with passive stuff is the signal tends to drop considerably, and obviously you can only cut volume with a passive unit.

I'm selling ny ls-2 as soon as I get my custom cog pedal.
[/quote]

Cos I am cheap, and skint, and can build a passive box with bits I have lying about.
LS-2 is £80, a wee bit less than the Electric bill i am currently selling stuff off to pay for, and similar to the MOT costs I have to pay for next week, and will then have to find stuff to pay for.
:)

Life is a pain... effects should be easier.

If you're going to use an op amp buffer then you might as well build your own op amp mixer as the parts list will be virtually the same and you'll avoid all the issues that arise out of passive mixing - output loading etc.
On op amps do be aware that as good as NE5534s are they do run quite hot. Might want to look at alternatives like OPA134(Texas Instruments) amongst many.
Good Luck.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1380278662' post='2223124']
Cos I am cheap, and skint, and can build a passive box with bits I have lying about.
LS-2 is £80, a wee bit less than the Electric bill i am currently selling stuff off to pay for, and similar to the MOT costs I have to pay for next week, and will then have to find stuff to pay for.
:)

Life is a pain... effects should be easier.
[/quote]

man just don't eat for a week or two. that's how I afforded my last bass ;) .

Seriously though. I am selling my Ls-2 as soon as the custom turns up which should be Monday, and I'll let it go for £55 or whatever the going rate is.

I've tried every passive option going, passive blends, two channel passive mixers etc etc. just because they were cheap, but I could never get anything usable out of them volume or tone wise.
I would just suggest that if you could make it active so you can boost each channel(no clue electronics wise lol) it will be a whole lot easier.

Just been playing about with a passive option for this. You can get away with using a 1kΩ resistor on the left and right (one per channel to make a 'Y' shape with the resistors) output of the iPod output (to drop the stereo signal into a mono one safely), then just wire the bass output and mono output from your iPod (or similar) together.

Nay buffer, nay battery, nay problem. :)

Edited by paul_5