Why become a member? ×

HELP!! TC or ORANGE?

bassgurumonster

Hi guys, im about to move from matamp to a much more manageable rig. after spending sometime on the web, ive decided on either a tc elec rh750 with 2 x 12 cab or an orange terror bass 1000 head with maybe a barefaced 2 x 12 or the orange isobaric? whats your opinion on them, anybody used both? i realize one has whistle and bells and the other is a more basic sound but i cant decide. glad for your opinions, cheers, mike

Well I`ve had a TC Classic 450 and an OTB 500. They really are so different that for me, I`d go for the TC. Why? Well the TC can get nearly what the OTB can do, and much more as well, but the OTB can only do what the OTB does. Add in presets, on-board tuner, Spectracomp and Tubetone, the versatility sells itself.

I`d also go for the BF 212 rather than Orange cab, purely for the sound dispersion/power aspect. The isobaric cabs sound nice, but so do the BF and they are a lot more capable of handling a show on their own (not that the Orange isn`t, just that the BF out-muscles it fairly easily, imo).

I've got an RH750 (only recently though!) and think it's great - great sound, a wide range of options & the presets are great. The (optional) footswitch also shows the tuner which can be handy if you can't easily see the amp (sitting too low etc.).

I've not tried it out with an orange cab, but I got to try it with some of the barefaced stuff at the bash last saturday - they sounded fantastic. But I've heard people playing through the RH212s, and they sound pretty fab to me too!

I use a sp212 with my terror 500 and it,s the mutts nuts.
If your using the 100 version you might need to use 2 sp212 cabs-oh my that would be loud and big sounding cause the 500 with one cab is huge.
It is the mids that as said slice through,more like kick their way through.
I tried tc and wasn,t for me,mind you I don,t like trace or ashdown either-horses for courses.

Mike, for me it would be the Terror and BF S12.
When I changed my GB I was going to get another Terror, but the GK MB was £100 cheaper and looked simple. Added to which I had heard EAD's and loved it.
For me, my GB didn't seem to work as well with the Barefaced hence the change.
TC 450 I had seemed to lack power and there was too much going on at the front panel for me.
I did the £25 valve change with my Terror (the 500) and from big to small pubs , never went beyond 3 on either master or gain. Even a clown like me could not get a BAD rock/jazz sound out of the Terror.
As we all know, trying stuff in bedroom/shop is a waste of time. Try and find a local gigging bassist with gear you are looking at and go and listen.
All the best Mr.
Karl.

Edited by karlfer