Why become a member? ×

What strings do you BassChat DB'ers play?

Clarky

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1421883204' post='2666329']
Been playing Evah Pirazzi Weichs for a year now.

Never going back.
[/quote]

I tried these and won't use them again. They were stiffer than the Spiro weichs and had no oomph on the bass.

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1421885733' post='2666357']
The years go by and it's still guts for me. All gut sets for over a year now on both my basses. Depending on my fancy, A is either raw gut or wound. E is always wound, D am G raw gut. I'm also experimenting with a slightly lower action (but still comparatively high by today's standards). Sounds like heaven to me and the dynamics in the playing come out so well. You can hammer or slap guts and sound groovy and percussive; you can dig in and swing hard, or you can tickle them and they sing low... I'm in love with guts more every time I play. Sometimes I hear other people playing on steels or velvets and I dig their sound but guts just do it for me.
[/quote]

I'm tempted to try guts on at least the G and D. Which brand do you play?

I can recommend Blast Cult Tone Mongers,E & A low tension steel D & G plain gut.
they have very even tension & tone across the set,slap or pizz.
they have certainly brought my bass to life with a wonderful rich,punchy tone & are a delight to play.
I have tried various nylon strings over the last 3 years & none sound anything like guts,plus I find these significantly louder than any nylons too.
no more plaggy strings for me :)

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1421919875' post='2666506']

[/quote]

Unless I find crazy offers on boutique gut (I.e. Dlugolecki) I just use Lenzner and they do the trick for me just fine.

Edited by Rabbie

Out of interest Rabbie, how do you find the gut D? On my bass, the various gut Ds I have tried (Chorda, Lenzner, Goldentone) sound boxy/clunky when played pizz with lots of overtones so that they sound very indistinct ... especially if you move above the first few positions. There's a bunch of threads on TalkBass about people having problems with gut D's along similar lines.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1421927689' post='2666643']
Out of interest Rabbie, how do you find the gut D? On my bass, the various gut Ds I have tried (Chorda, Lenzner, Goldentone) sound boxy/clunky when played pizz with lots of overtones so that they sound very indistinct ... especially if you move above the first few positions. There's a bunch of threads on TalkBass about people having problems with gut D's along similar lines.
[/quote]
Hi Clarky, I quite like the D gut. I don't find it boxy but yes if thumping along root - 5ths, it will sound thumpy, which is a good thing for that style. I find the limitation of their sound is what allows one to be expressive. Not indistinct really, I can always here my tuning and they have a distinct character. Having said that, it's been so long since I tried anything else that I'm not too sure I remember the character of the other strings I played before. Interesting point though, I'll think about it more.

Edited by Rabbie

I've read a bit on talkbass about the gut D bein proplematic, on my bass an efrano was a bit dead but my gamut lyon is pretty good if a little bit quieter than the g. The gamut pistoy sounded crap on my bass , really dead. I've just put a full set of leznzers on my kay and the d seems pretty even with the other strings,

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1421919875' post='2666506']

I tried these and won't use them again. They were stiffer than the Spiro weichs and had no oomph on the bass.

[/quote]

What bass are you using? There's tonnes of "oomph" coming from my bass with the Pirrazis!

All 4 strings have changed but the new set has been on for quite a while and no desire to change at the moment:

I went from Spiro EA and Oliv DG to Evah Pirazzi Weich EA and Gamut Lyon Medium D and G.

I suppose I would like to try wrapped gut E and A but I'm a bit scared of string longevity, tuning and price!

I've got gamut wrapped E and A , longevity seems very good, I've had mine on about 4 months and I do 4/5gigs a week on average I they haven't deteriorated at all, tuninf stability is a pain in the ass but they do settle eventually, mine took a a good couple of months, yeah they cost a lot but I'm pretty happy with mine and they have thump and weight to the tone I haven't been able to get from synthetic , they don't have the resonance and volume of spiros but for me guts are the sound of jazz