Why become a member? ×

The ol' "active v passive" debate

Funky Dunky

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1379870584' post='2217604']
That calibration and adjustment business means that , unfortunately perhaps given the beautiful hi - resolution of the sound these basses seem to be capable of , pickups like this will remain a niche product , I'm afraid . That extensive circuitry is also a major sticking point regarding mass -market appeal . Like the original Alembic systems with an external power supply , cost aside for the moment , it starts to border on "hair -shirt " technology and risks alienating potential consumers . The reality is that most people just can't be bothered when magnetic pickups and relatively simple active electronics can give generally satisfactory results .
[/quote] the pedant in me would suggest that folk who Lightwave are marketing too possibly would already be in the hair-shirt group. It's not a mass appeal instrument to begin with.
I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of the front of that bass BigRedX

However once you've got it set up for your style of playing and provided you use the same type and gauges of strings you don't need to bother recalibrating. As for the amount of electronics in it - there's probably about the same degree of complexity as a modern amp (non-valve) and less than your average multi-effects so I don't see why it should be so daunting.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1379882431' post='2217847']
I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of the front of that bass BigRedX
[/quote]

Here you go:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Selling/DSC01392_zps6ff1fbfe.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Selling/852b82fd-f537-42a2-9b5b-04be10be5cf5_zps21bf07dc.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1379885169' post='2217947']
However once you've got it set up for your style of playing and provided you use the same type and gauges of strings you don't need to bother recalibrating. As for the amount of electronics in it - there's probably about the same degree of complexity as a modern amp (non-valve) and less than your average multi-effects so I don't see why it should be so daunting.
[/quote] ever seen the circuit board from a gibson RD artist - that's a big board!
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1379885256' post='2217948']
Here you go:

[/quote] that looks lovely. Often when I see some basses with fancy tops It's a real turn off visually - but that looks lovely!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1379895512' post='2218054']
That is indeed a beautiful bass, despite not really being "my thing", if you know what I mean. I really like fretless maple boards. I wish more basses had them .
[/quote]

TBH the maple board is my least favourite thing about it. When I get a 5-string version it will definitely have the dark-coloured diamond wood fingerboard that the current models sport.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1379885594' post='2217951']
ever seen the circuit board from a gibson RD artist - that's a big board!
that looks lovely. Often when I see some basses with fancy tops It's a real turn off visually - but that looks lovely!
[/quote]

Unfortunately none of the current models shown on either the Lightwave web site or Bass Direct have tops that look anywhere near as attractive...