Why become a member? ×

Pickup and Preamp (Help/Suggestions)

SevenSeas

Dear Bass Chatters,

I was wondering if someone could offer some suggestions to improve my setup;

My double bass setup so far;

Double Bass > K&K Bass Max pickup (one on each side) > (Double ended jack to single jack) > Sansamp Paradriver to PA.

(Done this for over 60 gigs, great if you can't drive)

But now my setup is changing a bit so would like some suggestions.

Double Bass > (K&K Bassmax running of individually (each pickup, Gside and Eside) (no joint cable) into some kind of preamp (which can take two separate jack inputs without using a joint cable) then running into a MarkBass Mini CMD 121p (quarter jack or balanced input) I need a particular pre-amp to do this.

Anyone got any suggestions?

As i'll be doubling up for some gigs, the options to be able to switch quickly from electric to upright would be a bonus.

Cheers,
Andrew.

I can't see any real benefit from running two pickups like that. Two that cover all four strings, (to get different sounds etc) but not pickups that favour only a pair of strings? Its also good to have two pickups fitted and working so that you have a spare if one fails on a gig. They do.

As for swapping instruments...you really need two channels. Amps like the Euphonic Micro or Acoustic Image..but they are pricey and fairly scarce. Look for used ones in the For Sales? Other than than, there are pedals like the Radial Tonebone, but look carefully at the eq options and power choices. The Sansamp programable Bass Driver DI pedal may be a good option, as it will do both the switching and give you dedicated eq. Also does the DI,obviously!

A simple A/B footswitch could do it for you...but I've always found any bass guitar needs good EQ to stand up to EUB or double bass.

I did this for a long time with an A/B footswitch, then into an old Sansamp Bass Driver DI. Amp set up for EUB, then bass guitar selected on A/B and Sansamp circuit and eq engaged. It was two clicks rather than one, but it worked.

I still don't see why use two piezo pickups. Some (make that nearly all) of the world's greatest DB players amplify with one pickup, unless they are blending a piezo and a microphone. A single BassMax should be more than adequate and - if not - try a different piezo (I like the Full Circle, others like the Realist or the twin-wing piezo pickups like the Shadow SH950 or Underwood which do what your twin arrangement does with the one pickup).

Then run your single pickup into a preamp (PlatPro or other) via Radial A/B switcher or similar (so you can select between DB and electric bass) into quarter inch jack. There are also clever things you can do with effects send/return but I'm too dumb to be able to work that out!

PTB doubles using a Mini CMD121P. Drop him a PM

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1379597690' post='2214634']
I have my elec bass into the amp instrument input and my db with single bassmax into fishman then into fx return, I could do with a mute pedal for the db circuit rather than turning the fishman up and down but other than that it works well.
[/quote]
+1 this what i do too,works a treat

I am trying to get my head around what you are doing. Is it two separate bass max pickups you are using? And you are trying to get those into a single output from a pre? The easy option may be one of the K&K preamps. The dual channel takes two separate inputs, ans I think has separate EQ on each channel (internat adjustment - not on the fly) http://kksound.com/products/dualchannelpreamp.php If instead you are running to a TRS lead for the pickups, the ST version is more likely. Other than that look for a used raven labs master blender (I think there was one in the sales section recently not getting lot of interest) or a d-tar solstice.

Paul.