Why become a member? ×

New Korg Pandora Stompbox

Ghost_Bass

[url="http://www.korg.com/PANDORASTOMP"]http://www.korg.com/PANDORASTOMP[/url]

Anyone seen/read/heard about these? Could they be a compact alternative for the B3?

Am i the only one that thinks that a single switch unit defeats the purpose of a multifx pedal (being able to change between various fx during a song)? What were they thinking?!!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1379415481' post='2212315']

Am i the only one that thinks that a single switch unit defeats the purpose of a multifx pedal (being able to change between various fx during a song)? What were they thinking?!!
[/quote]
[list]
[*]Multi-function foot switch can also be used to switch program memories
[/list]
Sounds like it may well be able to do that.

To be honest, though, it seems that its being marketed as a practice aid, not as a multi-fx for live use.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1379499528' post='2213307']
(...)
To be honest, though, it seems that its being marketed as a practice aid, not as a multi-fx for live use.
[/quote]

Yep, it looks like it. A friend of mine is getting one for home practise, i'll be able to give it a go ;)

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1379418131' post='2212365']
more likely an alternative to the MS-60B? I'd be interested to see how the patch interface compares
[/quote]

My thought as well, the MS-60B is awkward for live use in my opinion, and the tuner isn't that legible. I'll be watching this one and see how it turns out, it could take the spot of my Polytune and add a bunch of less used effects in the bargain.

Edited by FretNoMore

• 1 month later...

Very tempted by this. Replacing my Pitchblack by the same tuner + effects if I need them in the same board space, + amp sim for practice in my drummer's basement to the board + rhythm + metronome, what's not to like. Just hope it doesn't suck tone.
I'll read the manual now and if it doesn't disappoint somehow, might get it today!

Edit: a little disappointing that there's no word on how some effects will track on bass (synths, octavers, filters, pitch-shifters). No bass synth is a shame, Zoom unit does a pretty good one IMO. They mention conservatively as 'for bass' a compressor, distortions, amps and cabs and a defretter. Doesn't seem like you can tap tempo and doesn't seem like you can have delay trails, I think this is a deal breaker for me.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

This kind of thing (and of course the MS60b) could be the way forward. It seems very sensible to have the 'always on' effects snuggly squeezed into one pedal. a pedal that is a tuner, a compressor, an EQ, noise suppresor, a preamp + 1 effect you'd use as a stomp box. I have to admit, I'd probably find the patch jumping a bit fiddly for live use but using it very simply, it would do a lot of jobs perfectly well.

*obviously each individual effect could be done better with a nice analogue expensive singular pedal, but for the working musician it would make complete sense!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok guys, so I went through this so you don't have to :)

4 letters define this pedal: s h i t.

This is probably the worst pedal I ever had. It beats the Zoom 506 in crappiness, decades later.

I won't even waste my time going into a lot of detail but basically...

Unacceptable:[list]
[*]There's a very noticeable silence when alternating bypass on/off!!!
[*]The tuner is NOWHERE as precise as the Pitchblack. This is my biggest disappointment because if it was nearly there, I could live with all the rest (a Pitchblack with a few extra bits, why not). But this can't replace the Pitchblack, it's just nowhere near reliable enough!
[*]Even with a programme that has all effects off, there's a lot of added noise to signal! What's up with that??? (you can use NR of course, but why should you?? all effects bypassed!!!)
[*]When you're searching through amp models, you sometimes have to cycle through high gain guitar ones to get to the bass ones. There's no way of avoiding this, which meant without knowing I'd get super loud feedback that ruined my ears and I hope didn't ruin my cab! Unbelievably wrong design decision!
[/list]
Laughable:[list]
[*]Most of the effects are just TERRIBLE (on bass at least). Most of them suck the low end completely. Others just sound lifeless, electronic and fake. Every time I then activated an analog counterpart ahhh home again.
[*]Tracking is awful. I mean it actually tracks fast, but can't sustain an octave on a sustained note for any time at all. Synths are useless but they're not meant for bass anyway...
[*]Most choruses and flangers suck the low end away. Phasers seemed ok, but boring.
[*]Dry sound is always present in pitchshifter.
[/list]
OK:[list]
[*]Bass amp models were actually ok I thought...
[*]Drum rhythms are good too, even some 5/4 and 7/4 in there.
[/list]
I didn't like the Zoom B3, so I suppose I wouldn't like the MS-60B which I'm guessing this comes to compete with, but this is nowhere near in the same league. The only point where this beats the B3 is that when bypassed, I hear no changes to the tone, whereas with the B3 I could tell it coloured it. On everything else it's just a joke by comparison.

Back to the shop it goes as soon as!!! Ah distance selling regulations, how I love thee.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Guest FretNoMore

Thanks for the review, saves me money and time! I have been hesitant because of a few other reports but have like you hoped for at least a "tuner with extras". Oh well, my piggy bank gave a sigh of relief. :)

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1392767200' post='2372634']
There are some [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/korg-pandora-stomp-1019213/"]reviews on TB varying from positive to middling[/url], so it may not be as bad as that for everyone.
[/quote]

Of course, however most of those people with positive-ish opinions already liked the normal Pandora. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, this is the worst pedal I ever tried.

This one guy said about the tuner "First, the tuner is great. Basically a Pitchblack on steroids. Easy to read and responsive." WHAT? :blink: This guy CAN'T have a Pitchblack. I had both in the chain. The Pandora would be happy with the tuning, then I'd press on the Pitchblack... off! Usually slightly flat (as I'd tune from flat up) Consistently!!! Pandora's tuner would tolerate me twisting the pegs progressively until it would finally notice tuning was off too late. The Pitchblack signalled it straight away.

One good point there I forgot to mention though, rhythms are very good, easily the best thing about this pedal, added that to the review now.

Edited by 1976fenderhead