Why become a member? ×

When a pedal is stomped on, click sound through amp.

pendingrequests

Hi guys,

After getting my pedalboard sorted, I started to notice that when I press my Mooer 'Eecho' or my custom Ezekiel 25:17 distortion pedal, which are PUSH button style; they make a click sound through the amp. Whereas my Boss tuner, chorus and equalizer do not have this issue.

The chain is

Tune - Equalizer - Chorus - Eecho - Exekiel.

I am currently using the official Boss power supply and daisy-chaining it over the 5 pedals. Could this be causing the issue?

Cables are all fairly new, patches and main jacks.

Thanks for the help guys.

I do get a bit of click from my MXR Carbon Copy (in my guitar rig btw) as it's a mechanical switch, also last in the chain. But not enough to send me looking for solutions. It's normal, whereas buffered switching (as in Boss pedals) is usually close to silent.

It might be a result of the last pedals in the chain being true bypass (assuming the Ezekiel is I've never encountered one but boutique stuff is usually true bypass and the Mooers are) so there isn't a buffer to stop you hearing the click as you engage the pedal. True bypass isn't the answer to everything.

If the Chorus is a Boss one (which will have a buffer) try putting it last and see if that solves it. There are other variables but it might.

I used to have a Boss DD-6 last and never had the issue at all. I now have a Boss LS-2 lying around for this eventuality. If I set up with a true bypass pedal last I will stick them in a loop through the LS-2 (which should remove the click because you are engaging the Boss switch and the other one is already on) or just put the LS-2 in line after the pedals.

As always with such advice I provide the usual YMMV disclaimer...

[quote name='ChrisG' timestamp='1379344747' post='2211494']
It might be a result of the last pedals in the chain being true bypass (assuming the Ezekiel is I've never encountered one but boutique stuff is usually true bypass and the Mooers are) so there isn't a buffer to stop you hearing the click as you engage the pedal. True bypass isn't the answer to everything.

If the Chorus is a Boss one (which will have a buffer) try putting it last and see if that solves it. There are other variables but it might.

I used to have a Boss DD-6 last and never had the issue at all. I now have a Boss LS-2 lying around for this eventuality. If I set up with a true bypass pedal last I will stick them in a loop through the LS-2 (which should remove the click because you are engaging the Boss switch and the other one is already on) or just put the LS-2 in line after the pedals.

As always with such advice I provide the usual YMMV disclaimer...
[/quote]

Thanks Chris, yeh I'll give that a go tomorrow after rehearsals and let you know how it pans out :)

Mechanical switching like that does have a little pop as the switch is switching between the circuit and the output jack, whereas Boss and similar pedals have the buffer bypass and are silent, basically because the signal is always going through the circuit.

Bypasses vary, cheap ones can be poppy and/or can wear out rather quickly. Contact cleaner may help, but more than likely it is just the sound of that switch, unless it has gotten worse?

Even the highest quality of pedals can have switches that fail. I had a both a Darkglass B3K and 3Leaf Wonderlove that both needed their switches replacing, although i think that was due to the builder having a few teething issues with their soft touch relay bypass. Bloody lovely switch though :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1379961207' post='2218825']
Mechanical switching like that does have a little pop as the switch is switching between the circuit and the output jack, whereas Boss and similar pedals have the buffer bypass and are silent, basically because the signal is always going through the circuit.

Bypasses vary, cheap ones can be poppy and/or can wear out rather quickly. Contact cleaner may help, but more than likely it is just the sound of that switch, unless it has gotten worse?

Even the highest quality of pedals can have switches that fail. I had a both a Darkglass B3K and 3Leaf Wonderlove that both needed their switches replacing, although i think that was due to the builder having a few teething issues with their soft touch relay bypass. Bloody lovely switch though :)
[/quote]

Don't think it has gotten worse, the Mooer is only a month or so old, and the Ezekiel, although custom, is about 3 months old.

May look into the LS-2 though, may have to squeeze it on somehow :)