Why become a member? ×

Had my first proper EUB/DB gig last night!

basshead56

Hi All,

Ok, so after months of bedroom jamming I finally got my first taste of playing live with the old upright - and it went great!!!

Have been slapping and noodling away for a couple of years now, on and off.
After finally getting a decent EUB that I really love, setting it up the way I want and playing along to records, I reckoned I was ready to get out and do a bit.
I joined a local blues/folk collective. With me, it's a 7 piece band: Drummer (suitcase kit B) ), bass, gat/vox, 2 percussionists, harmonica/blues harp player and piano accordion. We play a mix of old-school blues, some folkish stuff and a wee bit of rockabilly (my fave!)

So after arriving at the venue (occupied by mostly emo and metal fanciers) and producing my gleaming white mean machine (Ampeg Baby clone), I had some attention.
Bit of slap soloing to a drum warm up (my weedwhackers sound HOT!!!) got the room's undivided attention.
Once the band were finished adjusting mics and levels we were straight into it with a cover of Folsom Prison and then straight into some of our original stuff!
The audience were genuinely loving it, crowding right up to (and a couple of times, onto) us (I thought this poor wee blue haired girl was gonna fall onto the accordion's mic, which was right in front of me!)

It felt good, think I hit one duff note during the whole 40min set but that's because someone stood on my foot! haha
Hands were a bit cramped afterwards and still a tiny bit now (didn't warm up very well), but overall I reckon we did bloody good.
Someone filmed the whole thing, so keen on watching it back and seeing if it matched up to my recollection - but I'm usually my own harshest critic, so that makes me feel good about it all!

Just thought I'd share my experience :)

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1379319794' post='2211096']
Fantastic - there's nothing like the buzz of playing for an audience. Do you have the KK baby bass? I'm thinking of getting one and would be keen to hear your thoughts.
[/quote] Hi Sarah, I'm not sure what make mine is, but I don't think it's a KK. Whatever it is, it's bloody good though. Thanks all, it really was an awesome experience and I definitely can't wait for the next gig!!!

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1379403393' post='2212131']
Congratulations that sounds like an incredible first gig!
[/quote]

It sure was! Playing bass guitar almost seems pointless now! haha

Nah, never, but I really enjoyed finally having a proper go at it after a couple of years of half-hearted attempts.

Thanks again everyone :D