Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Custom Alembic

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='220427' date='Jun 17 2008, 10:43 AM']Looks great. Don't you wish there was one place where you could go and try out all these beautiful instruments. I have only ever SEEN one Alembic never mind played one. Same with Fodera.[/quote]

There are a bunch of Alembic and other nice instruments here:
[url="http://ccgi.psstpsst.force9.co.uk/php/bassworld.php"]http://ccgi.psstpsst.force9.co.uk/php/bassworld.php[/url]
I visited a couple of times to decide what things I wanted on mine.

Ah yes, 'Bass world' - I had a laugh about that back when Basschat was called Bassworld. Lots of lovely looking basses there. I have always loved the Elan, Orion and most of all Europa shapes personally.

While we're talking Alembic - I used to play in a band with an electric banjo player (synth pickup and all...nice) and one day it had a wiring problem - looked inside to see the pots had the Alembic logo on them...I think we should be told. I know Rick Turner sometimes claims inspiration from turn of the (previous)century banjos (laminated necks, multiple veneers, headstock volutes etc) but there may be more to this....come to think of it, those Stanley Clarke cds in the 80's did sound a bit banjo too....

BB

I've been after an Alembic for a long time. Of course, current circumstances prevailing, it will be a dream for some time to come until I can afford to dedicate more of my income to buying basses! In the end I'd like to go for a 4 string fretted Series II. Alembic basses are simply amazing, even if they are pricey!

Personally, I think the Series II is pretty much overkill for live situations.

Most live sound engineers I know would baulk at the idea of running a bass in stereo on stage, however the Series II is in a league of its own in the studio. I've found the Series basses seem to have more upper midrange and punch than other Alembic models too. The bass seem to combine a delicacy and attention to detail with tremendous robustness in my eyes. They're definitely idiosyncractic instruments however.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='220557' date='Jun 17 2008, 01:15 PM']Personally, I think the Series II is pretty much overkill for live situations.

Most live sound engineers I know would baulk at the idea of running a bass in stereo on stage, however the Series II is in a league of its own in the studio. I've found the Series basses seem to have more upper midrange and punch than other Alembic models too. The bass seem to combine a delicacy and attention to detail with tremendous robustness in my eyes. They're definitely idiosyncractic instruments however.[/quote]

I agree about their idiosyncracy, great, as you say for recording. When it comes to live I suppose it depends on the degree to which you have sound men in your service, if you are with a bigger artist that wants to have gigs with a very high standard of performance and sound quality then I think a series II would come into it's own.
My signature electonics are very good for live. I have very variable control with the Q switches and I can get just what I want at high volumes with the lightest of touch, which makes what I am able to play easier and therfore more dextrous. Something I have only had on 1 other bass (still got it too)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='220569' date='Jun 17 2008, 01:32 PM']My signature electonics are very good for live. I have very variable control with the Q switches and I can get just what I want at high volumes with the lightest of touch, which makes what I am able to play easier and therfore more dextrous. Something I have only had on 1 other bass (still got it too)[/quote]
I think a Signature bass offers all the wood choice advantages of the Series basses but without the fiddly and excessive electronics. If I was in the market for an Alembic, I wouldn't bother to look beyond a signature bass. (Bear in mind that I already own an old Series 1). I've played an all maple Mark King which had a lot of nice growl and still stayed full sounding because of the low impedance pickups and electronics.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='220557' date='Jun 17 2008, 01:15 PM']Personally, I think the Series II is pretty much overkill for live situations.

Most live sound engineers I know would baulk at the idea of running a bass in stereo on stage, however the Series II is in a league of its own in the studio. I've found the Series basses seem to have more upper midrange and punch than other Alembic models too. The bass seem to combine a delicacy and attention to detail with tremendous robustness in my eyes. They're definitely idiosyncractic instruments however.[/quote]

Crazykiwi, I can't remember how many times I have asked Ped for the link to your page so I could gaze in wonder at your graphite necked Alembic! And the sound clips, it just sounds amazing!