Why become a member? ×

going fromAmpeg 4 x10 hf to 8 x 10

slystewart

Have been using a Ampeg PR 4 X10 HF cab for some time with the hf part set to about mid position ...using a Ampeg SVT 2 Pro have just changed the amp to a Ampeg Heritage CL and have always wanted to go with the Ampeg 8 X 10 ....now a see this cab does not use a HF driver ......Question is on live situations what would be the points for and against sound wise ....never used a 8 X 10 THANKS

Depends on the size of the venues. If you play big stages/venues, you`ll have no problems sitting exactly in the mix, and being able to hear yourself no matter what. But, from my limited experience of using the Ampeg 8x10, they don`t seem to have a lot of bottom end to them when you`re up close, especially when only the bass is playing, sounding rather middy and nasally. Out front and in the mix this translates really well however, solid strong bass in the mix, not underneath. The lack of HF driver however is a different matter, as when I used the 8x10 I wasn`t using cabs with HF drivers so can`t comment on that.

I always turn off tweeters if at all possible so perhaps this post is of limited use to you, but depending on your set up with the HF the difference might not be huge. Treble is very directional so if the 410 is sat on the floor and not tilted towards your ears the tweeter will be firing at your knees, particularly on smaller stages. Same deal if you wander off to the sides.

Ampeg Heritage CL? Get a Barefaced '69er for it! :)
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/69er.htm"]http://barefacedbass...-range/69er.htm[/url]

8X10 cabs are a lot of fun to play through, but hauling them gets to be a pain very quickly. As said above, you might be better off getting a second 4X10. [size=4]As for the HF issue, if you've changed to a CL then I assume you're going for an old-school classic rock sound, in which case the HF isn't necessary.[/size]

Edited by discreet

Since 1969 the CL and 810 have been king of big stage bass tone.

I used one on a festival last month and it sounded completely different to my usual rig, but who cares, it sounded too good to split hairs.

I wouldn't worry about the difference in tone. There will be a difference but, unless you're JJ Burnell the 810 will sound great.