Why become a member? ×

Moog Taurus 3 bass pedals

police squad

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1378629929' post='2202482']
So I need a set of these for my Police tribute.
Can anyone shed any light on them for me.

any one got any for sale?

thanks
[/quote]

Best way to do it is with:
a) Minitaur
B) Midi pedals BUT! you can get the McMillen 12 Step - http://www.keithmcmillen.com/12step/tour - much cheaper and far more tweakable if you're into that sort of thing.

I got this setup and used it for a week long gig at a Christian conference. you can velcro it onto a small pedalboard or Gator tote bag and you're away.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1378793339' post='2204642']
Best way to do it is with:
a) Minitaur
B) Midi pedals BUT! you can get the McMillen 12 Step - [url="http://www.keithmcmillen.com/12step/tour"]http://www.keithmcmi...com/12step/tour[/url] - much cheaper and far more tweakable if you're into that sort of thing.

I got this setup and used it for a week long gig at a Christian conference. you can velcro it onto a small pedalboard or Gator tote bag and you're away.
[/quote]
Yep I'm liking that setup. much smaller area on the floor too

Exactly. You can also set them to latch on, so you don't need to keep holding the pedal to keep the note going.

You can also program presets into the Minitaur, then change them on the fly with patch change instructions from the 12 Step controller. No computer needed once programmed in. Super simple and super useful!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1378801284' post='2204703']
I didn't want to derail the thread but I've been wondering about the Keith McMillan thing for a while - mcgraham did you directly MIDI it to a sound module or did you have a laptop with patches loaded in and do it via USB?
[/quote]

Kev, first I programmed the Minitaur with preset sounds I wanted, independently of the 12 step. This required the Minitaur and a laptop.

Secondly, I programmed the 12 step to transmit a patch change signal upon a certain button press. The patch change signal corresponded with a particular preset number on the Minitaur. This required use of the 12 step and a laptop.

Then, when you connect the 12 step and Minitaur together (whether with a laptop to connect them or with the power module you buy separately if you don't want to use a laptop), you press the right button, which then transmits the patch change signal to the Minitaur, which responds by changing to the corresponding preset.

I might look into the step12 if I get time and earn a bit more from a few more gigs. Not a huge amount, looks like the unit plus a USB->MIDI box is about £250 all in. I think I'd need the extra box as initially I'd give it a go with my Roland JV sound module. Ultimately I guess I could really bring it up to date and run patches from a laptop direct via USB and ditch the extra box. I currently get very little stage space so the dimensions are appealing. Did it seem reasonably robust when you tried it out on loan?

I have a set o t3's. i owned the original pedals also 3 sets of those !!! the t3 is good in some respects sound wise they are close to the original but not exact, the original has that something extra that i can't expain. the originals are almost 40 years old i would not buy a set now they will be at the end of their lifespan. the t3 is around the same weight as the original they made a total of 1500 the original figure was 1000 but they sold so well they made another 500. they work , they have midi and very well made will they last 40 years?? i dont know, worth buying idf you can get hold of them.

Edited by geofio

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1378822656' post='2205115']
I have a set o t3's. i owned the original pedals also 3 sets of those !!! the t3 is good in some respects sound wise they are close to the original but not exact, the original has that something extra that i can't expain. the originals are almost 40 years old i would not buy a set now they will be at the end of their lifespan. the t3 is around the same weight as the original they made a total of 1500 the original figure was 1000 but they sold so well they made another 500. they work , they have midi and very well made will they last 40 years?? i dont know, worth buying idf you can get hold of them.
[/quote]

great info, thanks

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1378801188' post='2204702']
Exactly. You can also set them to latch on, so you don't need to keep holding the pedal to keep the note going.

You can also program presets into the Minitaur, then change them on the fly with patch change instructions from the 12 Step controller. No computer needed once programmed in. Super simple and super useful!
[/quote]

the 12 step has a range of built in sounds are they any good?
If I linked it to a minitaur do I need the extra hub bit, or would it link direct via midi cable?

thanks

Uhhh... no the 12 step is JUST a controller. No built in sounds.

As I've mentioned, if you want to run the 12 Step with the Minitaur without a computer you need the kit. The 12 Step is designed to be powered via USB from a computer. If you run it with a computer and minitaur then no problem. If you want to run it without a computer, i.e. JUST Minitaur, then you need the extra hub kit.

All this is explained on the 12 step website.

cool, please excuse my ignorance in these matters.
I certainly am liking the 12 step approach because of size and weight.
Also I read you can use 'animoog' if you have an iphone or ipad but I don't.
It's only 30 bucks too.

From a looks point of view, it has to be Taurus pedals (the anoraks at the tribute gigs would be proud)
from a weight POV, 12 step
closest thing without masses of weight is roland PK 5/6 and minitaur.

I do like my tribute band to look right as well as sound right.

Still, I can't believe I want to buy some sort of keyboard thing and I'm quite excited by it.

Ace - hope you get on well with it. I've been feeling strong urges to get hold of another Little Phatty or the newer Sub Phatty.

Anyway, there's a posting from Amos (one of Moog's employees and a very nice chap) on the Moog forums about the editor. You could always sign up and fire off any questions you have.

[url="http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14486&start=15"]http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14486&start=15[/url]

• 5 months later...

Interesting thread! I got my first set of pedals back in '88 which were an un-branded plastic set which lasted about 3 weeks before they fell apart and then later on, bought a set of PK-5's which have survived (albeit a bit tatty now) since around 1990 I think! My first module was a Yamaha TX81-Z which gives a nice low moog-esque drone but sadly not that close! Bought a set of original Taurus I's in 1994 which are now sadly in need of a major service, then bought a Nord Lead module which does get pretty close to the Taurus sound. Then bought a set of Taurus III's about 3 years ago off of Ebay and these are very good, however a pain in the arse in terms of weight etc especially in their flightcase which could compete with the flight deck off of the Ark Royal! So, then bought a Minitaur to use with the PK-5 which is great and now have just got the 12 Step pedalboard which I am very very pleased with! Tend to amplify the pedals via a couple of Alto powered sub cabs (12 or 15 inch depending on gig) and these do the business in terms of a real deep Squire-esque sound. Many people (punters) seem to think they are like effects pedals and assume they are connected to my bass, you have to explain to them that they are a synthesiser you play with your feet!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' timestamp='1394628900' post='2393447'] Many people (punters) seem to think they are like effects pedals and assume they are connected to my bass, you have to explain to them that they are a synthesiser you play with your feet! [/quote]

Yes I had that conversation a few times when I was using them regularly. I guess the best back-handed compliment I got after a gig was 'I thought you were using backing tracks'.

I recently jumped on this bandwagon myself. I really wanted to find a set of T3's but after looking for quite some time it seemed to be a dead end. So I ended up going for a set of PK6's and a Moog Slim Phatty. That's pretty devastating. I notice with interest there are a couple of clowns in Edinburgh are trying to sell the original Taurus pedals for more than £2500!! Jog on, pal.

I'm still in the whole "midi hell" stage of it as I notice that switching between mono and poly mode is sending midi cc messages (127 and 126) which is changing the settings on the Moog. Naturally, Roland weren't that helpful. Looks like I'll have to get a midi filter or something to block them. Anyone got any suggestions?

Unless Moog were going to lose money on every T3 they made I kind of wonder if they've dropped the ball by only making 1500. Surely they could have sold twice that amount at least. I certainly would have bought a set. Maybe at one point in the future they might re-issue them again.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1394794596' post='2395267']
I recently jumped on this bandwagon myself. I really wanted to find a set of T3's but after looking for quite some time it seemed to be a dead end. So I ended up going for a set of PK6's and a Moog Slim Phatty. That's pretty devastating. I notice with interest there are a couple of clowns in Edinburgh are trying to sell the original Taurus pedals for more than £2500!! Jog on, pal.
[/quote]

There's a couple on eBay at the moment (one I suspect is the one you've seen), both in Edinburgh. £2.5k for one, £2.8k for the other. Thing is, they'll probably sell for this much, or not far under. Mine sold for about £2k a year or two ago (see ad qv in basschat - but it took a LOT of work to get them advertised to a standard they deserved, ie more so than an ebay listing saying "yeah they work fine")

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1394805110' post='2395421']
There's a couple on eBay at the moment (one I suspect is the one you've seen), both in Edinburgh. £2.5k for one, £2.8k for the other. Thing is, they'll probably sell for this much, or not far under. Mine sold for about £2k a year or two ago (see ad qv in basschat - but it took a LOT of work to get them advertised to a standard they deserved, ie more so than an ebay listing saying "yeah they work fine")
[/quote]

Those were both the ones I was referring to. Surprising that I've seen them go for $1100 and yet these folk want almost 3 grand in crisp Sterling. Good luck as those listings have been there for months with no updates or anything. It just seems somewhat overpriced to me, but I'm sure someone will buy them at that level.

"Works fine." Love it. 40 year old gear, no inclination of servicing or anything. How I laugh.

quick update on the 12 step set up.
Nice and light yes.
easy to trigger whilst playing bass and singing, not really.
I sometimes muck it up and it needs to be turned off and on because I end up changing the settings on the 12 step. I must be hitting the programme change bit, It's cos I have size 11 feet, in boots.
how does it sound, well it'll rattle your internal organs!!

I can't work out if I can store any presets. I don't think I can (not without a PC). So I manually change the minitaur on stage. I use 2 sounds with my Police tribute. I photographed the settings with my phone and dial them in at the sound check stage.

That is the one thing I wondered about when I saw the video demo of the 12 step. I even used to occasionally catch the wrong pedal with PK5's and got into the habit of using shoes with a reasonably pointy toe on them to reduce the 'spread' and I only take size 9.