Why become a member? ×

Where does your band practice?

redbandit599

Back bar of the local pub that rarely gets used. Can leave amps/drums/pa in place most of the time. Occasionally have to move it into a side storage room when a local darts team hires it for their home matches. All we have to do in return is a couple of free gigs per year, and even then the band gets a free bar.

Through the years, my bands have found themselves tolerated in:

- Living rooms, but only the last few days before something important. It was about using every minute.

- School/college stages. Predominantly the last few weeks before a gig, and we'd be allowed to let the gear stand there.

- School/college rehearsal rooms. Some places, this meant the whole rig could just stand there, or a rig was available.

- Churches. Sometimes this meant the rig could stand there.

- A private holiday cabin (I'm sure this is not English) close to a band member's house. Meaning all the gear could just stand there for most of the year.

- A double garage changed into a music and rehearsal room. Perfec.

I am lucky that in my covers band we are all reasonable at picking up songs. We usually learn the songs at home then just gig them straight away most of the time. Occasionally we do have a get together for more complex songs & arrangements, in which case we use what my wife calls the study (I have filled it with music stuff, so it's actually the music room/home studio :D).

A cheap electronic drum kit & a couple of practise amps do the job. Bring your own beer.

As our singer works at a school we get the music room. And we have a deal that our lefty drummer lets the one lefty student who's learning drums use his kit at lessons for a discount. It's warm, dry, safe and cheaper than other permanent rooms i've had. Also through the school we have had the use of a drama room for a video we shot and our singer uses the vocal booth for our recordings at no extra cost!