Why become a member? ×

Fender Mexican, good, bad or ugly?

karlfer

Ive only owned one Mexican bass, a P bass. I took it as part ex on a whim. It was pretty bad and I wouldn't have bought it had I checked it out first. But, I've had two Mexican Strats, one was very good, and I regret selling it, the other, an early 90's one, is the best sounding and playing Strat I've come across.

I really rate the MIM classic series. I really don't see a huge difference between my classic 70s jazz and my AVRI jazz.

I can hear a difference though. The AVRI 75 is a little meatier and more resonant sounding, plus, the neck on the AVRI is a slimmer and better feeling neck (but there's not a massively significant difference) and the whole instrument is of a higher quality. But it isn't three times better although it costs almost three times the price.

I would be happy to own the MIM classic 70s as my only bass. They're that good. :D

Frank.

I have had several MIM basses and guitars and i have not had a bad one, they have all been good or excellent. That is something i cannot say about USA made ones where i have struggled to find anything more than adequate for the price. Would choose a Mex version over a USA version these days, although i really prefer the MIJ ones which have a nice feel but slightly let down with electronics. I doubt i would buy another new one though, i have always moved them on or kept bits i liked to make partscaster guitars to my own specs. i find the mass market ones a bit souless. I prefer the old Matsumoku intruments with all of their quirks, much more interesting to play.

I've had my Mex Precision for a few years now, bought as backup for the US Precision I had at the time. Bought it from the For Sale section here, from Platypus, and I was fortunate in that it had done the Basschat rounds a bit, and was generally regarded as a good bass before I got it. Build quality wise I have no complaints, I changed the tortoiseshell scratchplate for a black one, which I lined with copper foil, and I changed the bridge for a Gotoh 201, although that was only a whim and there wasn't really anything wrong with the BBOT it had before. It has a Wizard Thumper in it, which isn't as hot as the pickup in my Shuker, but that's a little unfair on it, and no fault of Fender's. I didn't feel it compared unfavourably with the US, either.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1378584987' post='2202218']
Ive only owned one Mexican bass, a P bass. I took it as part ex on a whim. It was pretty bad and I wouldn't have bought it had I checked it out first. But, I've had two Mexican Strats, one was very good, and I regret selling it, the other, an early 90's one, is the best sounding and playing Strat I've come across.
[/quote]

I have a mexican strat that I bought in 1993 it plays really well, probably nearly as good as my mia one if Im honest although the hardware and pickups arent any where near as good. Id think mods to a S/h mex bass as Deep Thought's above would make it well worth having
I did have to try quite a few to find a good 'un when I bought it though