Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Public Liability Insurance - For one member, for all members, for "Band"?

coffee_king

Hey all
I'm a little confused about Public Liability Insurance.
For instance lets say its one band with three members. These three band members only ever perform together in this one group.

Does there need to be only one person in the band that has PLI for live performances?
Or do all members need their own PLI?
Will one persons PLI cover the entire band?
Can you insure a "Band" (So say dep players come in and out)?

any help?

Thanks

Minefield.
Technically you need a policy covering the band name, and not once or indeed all of the individuals.
I looked into this long and hard. You will get varying answers, but you need a policy in the name of the band, and it will cover the band performing with whatever members.

We use Richard Weston. Very good. £200 all in, for 5 piece band, 70 ish gigs per year, 5 members, no pyrotechnics. And the laser must be aimed 30ft up.

It's not worth messing about and risking it otherwise, not worth taking a shortcut IMHO.

Insurance will only do (at most) what it says on the tin. If you get cover for just one member, you will be stuffed when a punter falls over another member's bit of kit. These companies don't just pay out, they will make a thorough investigation into exactly what happened.

I insured with www.gclloyds.co.uk

Our policy states:

Policy Number: xxxxxx
Customer Number: xxxxxx
The Insured: (Name of band)
Specific Trade: Musician (Band under 6 members)
Effective Date/Time: xx/xx/xxx
Expirary Date/Time: xx/xx/xxx
Public Liability: £1,000,000
Employers Liability: Not Included
Products Liability: Included, Indemnity: £1 Million

This to me says that the BAND is insured.
Thoughts?

We have £5M PLI cover for our 14 piece function band through Rees Astley.

[u][size=3][url="http://www.insurance4performingarts.co.uk"]www.insurance4performingarts.co.uk[/url][/size][/u]

[size=3]Part of the Confirmation of Cover states:-[/size]

[left][b][u][size=3]Re: The Members For The Time Being of Bring Down the House [/size][/u][/b][/left]
[font=Arial, Arial][size=3][font=Arial, Arial][size=3]This is to confirm that we act as Insurance Brokers to the above named client and that Public Liability insurance is currently in force with QBE Insurance (Europe) Ltd for the following activities: [/size][/font][/size][/font]

[left][font=Arial, Arial][size=3][font=Arial, Arial][size=3]• Band (up to 15 members) - Playing to an audience of no more than 500 people [/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]

[left][font=Arial, Arial][size=3][font=Arial, Arial][size=3]This covers us for the whole band and any deps and was less than £200.[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]

[left][font=Arial, Arial][size=3][font=Arial, Arial][size=3]Better safe than sorry I say.[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]

[left][font=Arial, Arial][size=3][font=Arial, Arial][size=3]Pete[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]

[quote name='shippo' timestamp='1377759779' post='2191326']
I insured with www.gclloyds.co.uk

Our policy states:

Policy Number: xxxxxx
Customer Number: xxxxxx
The Insured: (Name of band)
Specific Trade: Musician (Band under 6 members)
Effective Date/Time: xx/xx/xxx
Expirary Date/Time: xx/xx/xxx
Public Liability: £1,000,000
Employers Liability: Not Included
Products Liability: Included, Indemnity: £1 Million

This to me says that the BAND is insured.
Thoughts?
[/quote]

Does to me too.

I've heard that the MU includes insurance as part of your membership, but all I could find on their site was this:

'Members are insured for legal liability of £10m, to cover injury to members of the public or damage to property. You also get instrument and equipment insurance up to £2,000, Personal Accident cover and tax investigation cover'.

I'm not sure if this is the same as public liability insurance. Can anyone shed any light on this??