Why become a member? ×

Getting work as a bass player

bonzodog

Apologies if this is on the wrong board.

Although I am happy with my current covers band we decided due to the others work load that we would only gig once a month, and it is more of a hobby than a form of income.

However, in my situation my Saturday nights especially, are usually free. Very often I find myself at home thinking I could be out working and getting some payment for my bass playing.
Are there any tips or advice anyone can give me about finding work and where I should advertise (apart from on here). I'm not really looking at joining another band on a permanent basis (not yet anyway) but I am happy to dep for bands at gigs or recordings.

i would consider myself a fairly good bassist, and although I don't read music I am learning. I play most songs by ear and can usually pick a bas sline up in a short time
I also have my own car and gear

Any tips on how I can earn more as a bass player whilst still working full time (Mon-Fr 9-5pm) would be welcomed

Thanks

[u][i][b]Warning...I know bugger all about earning money from a bass but this may help..or not![/b][/i][/u]

I had a customer 3/4 years ago who made his living playing bass, nice enough guy, session player. I asked the same question just how can you earn a living plucking a string for fun....what with me being a bedroom noodler of 3 months at that time.

He told me most of his work came from TV and radio adverts of all things...but I sh*t you not, he could read sheet music like most people read a newspaper, I guess with studio time being expensive it would be expected of a 'paid player'...he [i][b]told[/b][/i] me he was endorsed by Fender so must of been a bit of a name...I can think of one.

....he said he would send me a Fender as he had a few kicking around and got a great deal from me as I'm a sucker for a hard luck story, wife left him etc....did he send me one...what do you think :rolleyes:

Edited by iconic

Go to the music venues in the area you want to play in, see a few bands, and get chatting to both the musicians playing, and the familiar local faces who seem to always be there watching them. If there`s any work going, these should be aware of it.

Likewise jam nights are a good way to get yourself known as a bassist on the lookout for work.

Getting your face about is a good suggestion - the big difference I find playing covers from originals is that you don't mix with other bands in the same way as you're generally the only band on the bill. Networking doesn't happen so naturally. Something I could probably do with doing more of.

I get as much work doing sound and driving/teching as I do playing - diversity is good if you're wanting to make a serious swing at full time musical life.

Edited by mike257