Why become a member? ×

Help me find my electric chops! (Song suggestions)

PaulDB

Hi guys, I've just regressed(?) to electric bass after seven years playing primarily upright. I'm a little rusty and need to get my fingers working around a fretboard again. Another added complication is that I have just got a new bass, a stingray 5, as a replacement for my trusty old Hartke WK5. This is a 22 fret scale instead of the 24 I'm used to, so playing adjustments are necessary in that area.

I've never been a fan of scales and arpeggios and am currently learning Ain't No Mountain High Enough as a practice routine.

Any song/practice suggestions greatly appreciated, particularly if they can be added to my function/dodgy pub covers band repertoire :)

I like Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet as a nice easy song to get some fingers working. After that, add any from a whole medley of The Jam, such as Town Called Malice, Eton Rifles, Down in The Tube Station, In The City. All well known enough to put in a covers band, and great for a bassist to play.